# Historic home
Discovering the historic Rivercene house built in 1869
Built originally by a riverboat captain named Joseph B. Kinney in 1869, this house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on February 16, 1973. Known as Rivercene, it is a large historic home located close to New Franklin, Missouri. This two-story square-shaped house was constructed in the architectural style of Second Empire.
Exploring the historic Harrison Queen House: an isolated 1875 log home in Missouri's Bellevue Valley
Sometimes when you're learning about a historic place or historic structure, it takes your mind back in time. At the very least, you try to imagine what life must have been like.
Experience hospitality again from a 1829 Kansas City home of Dr. James Compton that's now a famous well-known restaurant
The historic home of Dr. James Compton was built around 1829 in Kansas City, Missouri. It's also been referred to as Sandy's Oak Ridge Manor Tea House. When it was originally built, it was a log home. Through the years, it expanded by the Compton family through 1952. This house was in the Compton family from 1844 to 1954—that’s 110 years! Once a “center of social life,” it serves as a reminder of what it was like in the pioneer days when you go there.
Historic William B. Sappington House in Saline County, Missouri
The William B. Sappington House (also known as Prairie Park) located about three miles southwest of Arrow Rock, Missouri (Saline County) was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on January 21, 1970.
Historic Edwin and Nora Payne Bedford House in Fayette, Missouri
On January 23, 1998, the Edwin and Nora Payne Bedford House located in Fayette, Missouri (Howard County) was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It's also a contributing property in the South Main Street Historic District.
Historic 1890 Wardell House in Macon, Missouri, home to diversified businessman, Thomas E. Wardell, Jr.
Correction: A last brief and necessary paragraph was added because I just learned this house was demolished, sadly. The Wardell House is located at 1 Wardell Road in Macon Missouri (Macon County). This historic home was built in 1890--that's 132 years ago. The architectural style of this three-story dwelling is Queen Anne. The house includes a basement and a verandah as well as an open tower on the second and third stories. In 1986, this house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Shelby–Nicholson–Schindler House in Perryville, Missouri was first owned by an early settler in the 1830s
The Shelby–Nicholson–Schindler House is located at 701 W. St. Joseph Street in Perryville, Missouri (Perry County). The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on July 24, 1974. It is privately owned. For many photos, including beautiful garden images, click here for the Facebook site of the home.
This house looks like it's on a movie set and it's actually a historic home belonging to John H. Garth in the 1800s
Garth Woodside Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, was built in 1871, near Hannibal, Missouri.Photo byJonathunder, GFDL 1.2, via Wikimedia Commons. The John Garth House was built in 1871 close to Hannibal, Missouri (Ralls County). This two-and-a-half-story historic house carries the architectural style of Second Empire. The name of the architect.
The historic John Siddle Williams house from the 1850s in Hermitage, Missouri is the Hickory County Museum
Correction: The city's name in the title had an error that was necessarily corrected. John Siddle Williams House, Hermitage, Missouri.Photo byWaymarking.com posted by Bruce S.
Historic Charles McLee Farris house built in 1850 in Augusta, St. Charles County, Missouri
The historic Charles McLee Farris house in Augusta, Missouri.Photo byJon Roanhaus, CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons. In 1995, the Charles McLee Farris House was added to the National Register of Historic Places. The one-and-a-half-story house was built in 1850 and it's located in Augusta, Missouri (St. Charles County).
The historic Jacques Dubreuil Guibourd House is in the oldest town of Missouri and part of a national landmark
Front and southern side of the Jacques Dubreuil Guibourd House, Ste. Genevieve, Missouri.Photo byNyttend, public domain, via Wikimedia Commons. On May 21, 1969, the Jacques Dubreuil Guibourd House (or Guibourd House or La Maison de Guibourd) was added to the National Register of Historic Places. It was also designated as a contributing property to the U.S. National Historic Landmark District on October 9, 1960. The home was built around 1806 and Jacques Guibourd and his family resided there.
Construction began on the Benjamin House in 1872 in northeastern Missouri and is referred to as the Shelbina Mansion too
The Benjamin House, now known as the Shelbina Mansion, at 322 Shelby Street in Shelbina, Missouri.Photo byJERRYE & ROY KLOTZ MD, CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons. The Benjamin House (aka the Benjamin (John Forbes) House and Vesper Place) is a historic home located at Shelbina, Missouri (Shelby County). This three-story brick home was built between May 22, 1872, and March 5, 1873. This home has a basement and three porches. In 1972, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The 1916 construction of the historic Edward M. and Della C. Wilhoit house in Springfield, Missouri
Edward M. and Della C. Wilhoit House, October 2010.Photo byAbeEzekowitz, CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons. The home of Edward M. and Della C. Wilhoit located at 903 S. Weller Avenue, Springfield, Missouri was constructed in 1916. On December 23, 2014, the home was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Historic home of nationally respected engineer, William B. Knight, and wife, Mary Knight
Front of the house.Photo byGoogle Maps. On October 18, 2003, the Wiliam Baker and Mary Knight House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This house is located at 3534 Walnut Street in Kansas City, Missouri.
Historic home: Samuel and Pauline Peery House was constructed in 1901 in Albany, Missouri
Samuel and Pauline Peery House (2013).Photo byGoogle Maps. In 2005, the Samuel and Pauline Peery House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The house is located in northwestern Missouri in Albany (Gentry County).
The historic Robnett-Payne House built in 1857 in Fulton, Missouri was relocated and rehabilitated over 20 years ago
Robnett-Payne house, December 2012.Photo byAmmodramus, CC0, via Wikimedia Commons. The historic Robnett-Payne House, also referred to as Payne Hall and The Country Place is a two-story home built in 1857. The house used to be located at 601 W. 7th Street in Fulton, Missouri (Callaway County). In 1998, this house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP).
The historic Augustus Sander House in Benton County, Missouri may not be elaborate but its beauty rests in its longevity
Augustus Sander House, Cole Camp, Missouri (2013).Photo byGoogle Maps. Historically known as the Augustus Sander House, this small dwelling at one time also belonged to Jacob and Annie Koch, and Frederich and Anna Brandt. The house is located at 408 West Jefferson Street in Cole Camp, Missouri. This one-and-a-half-story house was constructed around 1861. There was a rear ell added about 1875 (an ell is an addition to a structure that makes it look "L" shaped). In 1919, there was another expansion and around 1893, the front porch was added.
Many aren't aware the William P. Hall House in Lancaster, Missouri belonged to a successful circus broker in the 1900s
Lancaster, Missouri home of William Preston Hall.Photo bySector001, CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons. The William P. Hall House is a historic home built around 1902 in Lancaster, Missouri. The house is in Schuyler County near the border of Missouri and Iowa. The two-story home is enormous. The architectural design is Late Victorian. In 1975, the home was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The 1903 house of Merritt Violette, the man who owned Samuel Clemens' birthplace and worked to develop Florida, Missouri
The Merritt Violette House in Florida, Missouri.Photo byTheCatalyst31, CC0, via Wikimedia Commons. The Merrit Violette House (aka Merritt “Dad” Violette House) was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. This one-story house is located in Florida, Missouri. The architectural description is an eclectic vernacular Queen Anne style. It has an attic and it’s sheathed in clapboard and has a lot of fish scale shingles.
The 1882 Frederick Krause Mini Mansion in Platte City, Missouri was repurposed into the Ben Ferrel Platte County Museum
Frederick Krause Mansion, Platte City, Missouri.Photo byJERRYE & ROY KLOTZ MD, CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons. In 1978, the Frederick Krause Mini Mansion was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Krause built it in 1882-1883. It's located at 220 Ferrel Street in Platte City, Missouri. When the building was nominated for the National Register, the owner was the Platte County Historical Society.