A tragic incident occurred in Florida when 22-year-old Alyssa Carolyn Jimmie left her 7-month baby in a bathtub while she left to get her nails done. She did not think it would be an issue as the bathtub did not have a drain plug. However, when she returned, she discovered the bathtub was full and her baby was unconscious.
Even though the baby was rushed to the hospital, he passed away three days later.
Per reports, this was not the first time that Jimmie left her children in the bathtub by themselves: "According to an arrest affidavit, Jimmie had put the infant in a bathtub with his 3-year-old brother and left the water running. Jimmie said she felt comfortable leaving the kids in the bathtub with the water running due to a missing drain plug, which she said allows the water to flow freely down the drain, the affidavit said."
Jimmie had left her kids unattended and gone to a manicure station located in a garage to get her nails groomed. What she did not expect was a towel to get lodged in the drain thereby filling up the tub with water.
She administered CPR to her unresponsive child and then had a neighbor call 911 as this excerpt explains: "Jimmie took the infant out of the tub and started CPR, but her phone wasn't working so she went next door to a neighbor, who called 911, the affidavit said. The 7-month-old boy was brought to a local hospital where they restored his heartbeat but he was presumed brain dead. Three days later, on May 23, the infant was pronounced dead."
According to the autopsy report released by the Miami-Dade Medical Examiner, the child's cause of death was drowning. Jimmie was arrested for aggravated manslaughter of a child under 18.