Healthy vegetarian enchilada casserole with sweet potato, zucchini, flour tortillas and an easy homemade enchilada sauce! Vegan version can be found in recipe notes.
Taco Tuesday and meatless Monday just got a whole lot better…
This vegetarian enchilada casserole is loaded with so much flavor you won’t even miss the meat!
Made with veggies like spinach, sweet potatoes and zucchini with the classics like corn, beans and cilantro, it’s a warm and comforting dish the family will love and you’ll feel good about.
I have to say, aside from the cheese I think the homemade enchilada sauce makes this veggie casserole SO much better.
Plus, it comes together quick and easily and is freezer friendly :).
Since Autumn was born, easy dinners have been more my forte.
Most nights I’m lucky enough to get a home cooked meal together!
That’s why I love this enchilada casserole: it’s easy to make, freezer friendly and healthy with lots of delicious veggies :).
VEGETARIAN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE INGREDIENTS:
- tortillas (corn or flour)
- black beans
- bell pepper
- diced tomatoes
- green chiles
- sweet potato
- chipotle pepper (optional)
- shredded cheese (omit for vegan or replace with non-dairy cheese)
- homemade enchilada sauce
You can use your favorite enchilada sauce recipe or feel free to use store bought as well!
HOW TO MAKE VEGGIE ENCHILADA CASSEROLE:
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add sweet potatoes, onions, garlic, bell pepper, salt and pepper. Cook until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add zucchini, green chiles, diced tomatoes, chipotle pepper, corn and beans. Stir to combine.
- Add spinach and fresh cilantro. Cook 2-3 minutes until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Cover the bottom of a 13″x9″ baking dish with enchilada sauce. Place tortillas on top of the sauce.
- Evenly spread about half of the veggie mixture over the tortillas. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Repeat again with sauce, tortillas, veggies and cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and mixture is bubbling.
- Serve with sour cream, cilantro and avocado if desired.
This vegetarian enchilada casserole can be made with flour tortillas or corn tortillas, depending on your preference or what you have in your pantry!
Either will work well in this recipe.
If you want to add meat such as ground beef or shredded chicken, you could certainly do too.
Or if you want to make this a vegan enchilada casserole, simply omit the shredded cheese or replace with your favorite non-dairy cheese.
CAN I MAKE THIS ENCHILADA CASSEROLE WITH GREEN SAUCE?
Personally, I favor red enchilada sauce, but if you prefer green sauce, that will work too.
I like to make homemade red enchilada sauce.
You can certainly use store bought enchilada sauce too if that’s your jam ;).
FREEZING ENCHILADA CASSEROLE:
My vegetarian enchilada casserole is freezer friendly!
To freeze: cook the casserole until completely cooked. Cover tightly with saran wrap, then with foil.
Once ready to eat, remove from freezer and bake at 375 F for 45-55 minutes or until heated through.
Comments / 0