Savory ham & cheese French toast casserole is made on cinnamon raisin bread and baked in the oven for an easy, make ahead breakfast or brunch recipe!
If you’re the type of person that likes when your bacon or sausage gets covered in maple syrup on your breakfast plate, I think this ham & cheese French toast recipe is for you.
Slightly sweet from the cinnamon raisin bread and vanilla, yet slightly salty from the ham and cheese for the perfect breakfast flavor combination.
Ham and cheese are sandwiched between cinnamon swirl raisin bread then a creamy egg mixture with a hint of cinnamon and rosemary are poured over the casserole.
The casserole gets baked in the oven until the egg is fluffy and the cheese is melted.
Even though my mom is the star cook in our family, my dad can cook pretty good too.
One of my favorite things we used to make was grilled cheese made on cinnamon raisin bread with ham and American cheese.
It was perfect: buttery, sweet, and salty…all the good stuff!
Hence, this is where I got the inspiration for my ham & cheese French toast casserole.
Picture a Monte Cristo but on cinnamon raisin bread and baked casserole style.
INGREDIENTS USED IN HAM & CHEESE FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE:
- cinnamon raisin bread
- sliced ham
- sliced American cheese
- milk (or half & half)
- ground cinnamon
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- fresh rosemary
I like the fresh rosemary because it adds to that savory element but you can skip it all together if you prefer.
HOW TO MAKE THIS EASY FRENCH TOAST BAKE:
- Butter a 9 x 13″ glass baking dish.
- Place 6 slices of cinnamon raisin bread along the bottom of the dish.
- Top each slice of bread with ham and a slice of American cheese, then top with another slice to bread like a sandwich.
- In a small bowl whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, brown sugar, rosemary and a pinch of salt.
- Pour egg mixture of the bread and lightly press with your finger tips to ensure all the bread is soaked with the mixture.
- Place a pad of butter on top of each sandwich.
- Bake at 350 F for 25-30 minutes or until the egg is fluffy and bread is slightly browned.
HAM & CHEESE FRENCH TOAST BAKE CAN BE MADE AHEAD!
Simply prepare the recipe up until baking it in the oven.
Wrap the prepared casserole dish with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator up to two days until ready to be baked.