Starting September 27, drivers using parts of Rt. 1 and Rt. 3 in Fredericksburg are forewarned to prepare for a month of overnight delays, detours, and rough riding.VDOT announced crews will be starting a paving and lane marking project.
Work will be done on the following sections:
- Rt. 1 north between Idlewild Boulevard and Cowan Boulevard
- Rt. 3 (Plank Rd.) east between Altoona Drive and Huntington Hills Lane
- Rt. 3 (Plank Rd.) east and west between Huntington Hills Lane and William Street
- Rt. 3 (Blue and Gray Parkway) eastbound and westbound between William Street and Rt. 1 Business (Lafayette Boulevard)
- On- and off-ramps for the Rt. 1 and Rt. 3 interchange
When crews start working at the on- and off-ramps, VDOT said nightly ramp closures will be required, and traffic will be detoured.
Drivers will encounter rough riding when in areas where the road has been milled but not yet resurfaced.
Work hours will be Sunday through Thursday evenings from 8 p.m. – 5 a.m. with work ending each week early Friday morning.
Once completed, approximately 2 miles of Rt. 1 will be resurfaced along with about 5 lane miles of Rt. 3.
The price tag for the job is estimated at $1.3 million as the work is being completed by a contractor, Allen Myers.