Smithsonian magazine is celebrating curiosity with a special promotion called Museum Day. On Sept 17, participating museums and cultural institutions will provide free entry to those with a Museum Day ticket.
The offer is limited to one ticket download per email address. But each ticket allows general entry for two people. Therefore, if you’re going out as a pair, each of you could get a ticket and enjoy two different sites.
In Virginia, there are 27 establishments participating in Museum Day, including:
· Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum (Williamsburg)
· Agecroft Hall & Gardens (Richmond)
· Art Museums of Colonial Williamsburg (Williamsburg)
· Bacon’s Castle (Surry)
· Belle Grove Plantation (Middleton)
· Cape Henry Lighthouse (Virginia Beach)
· Casemate Museum (Fort Monroe)
· Clermont Farm (Berryville)
· DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum (Williamsburg)
· Freedom House Museum at 1315 Duke St. (Alexandria)
· Gadsby’s Tavern Museum (Alexandria)
· George C. Marshall’s Dodona Manor (Leesburg)
· Hampton History Museum (Hampton)
· Lee-Fendall House Museum & Garden (Alexandria)
· Morven Park (Leesburg)
· Newtown History Center (Stephens City)
· Patrick Henry’s Red Hill (Brookneal)
· Patrick Henry’s Scotchtown (Beaverdam)
· Preservation Virginia’s John Marshall House (Richmond)
· Salem Museum (Salem)
· Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum (Alexandria)
· The Alexandria History Museum at the Lyceum
· Virginia Discovery Museum (Charlottesville)
· Virginia Museum of History & Culture (Richmond)
· Virginia Museum of Natural History (Martinsville)
· Virginia Quilt Museum (Harrisonburg)
If you’ll be out of the area on Sept. 17, you can still take advantage of this offer because organizations from across the U.S. are participating. To take advantage of the free entry offer, you must get a Museum Day ticket via the Smithsonian magazine website. Once there, you can filter the participating locations by state.
Follow the Watchful Eye on Twitter so you never miss a story!