Famous for its Full Moon party, Koh Phangan in Thailand is a favorite among partygoers. But where to stay when you've already left your backpacker days behind you
Anantara Rasananda on Koh Phangan is the ideal barefoot luxury getaway just a stone's throw from Koh Samui. Chances are that most of the resort's guests have been to the island before, possibly in their adventurous 20s for a Full Moon party. Now, a bit more settled, many return with their partner or maybe even with kids in tow, to explore this idyllic island and all the natural treasures it has to offer. The Full Moon parties are still accessible (just a 30 min car ride away) even when staying in the northern part of the island, but compared to some of the other hotels, Anantara Rasananda offers a more sophisticated and secluded destination, with a very cosy resort feel, allowing guests to relax and recharge in nature. Anantara Rasananda is a very refined version of Koh Phangan that, once visited, you will want to come back to over and over again.
BEACH AND CHILLOUT TIME
Koh Phangan and particularly Anantara Rasananda, which is located in the northern and more tranquil part of the island, offer amazing conditions for travelers to get away from it all, without having to put in too many travel hours. Located a direct flight (to Koh Samui) and a speed boat ride away, Anantara Rasananda makes for a great vacation spot, as it offers guests secluded beach time away from the hustle and bustle of the party area on Haad Rin beach. The resort is designed with the utmost privacy in mind, so guests can revel in laidback luxury and while away the days on their private sundecks with the ocean breeze tickling their cheeks.
Exploring the island of Koh Phangan is a must! There are numerous gems to discover, such as several waterfalls, including Than Sadet Waterfall which will mesmerize you (Tip: Head there the morning after the Full Moon party, it will be completely empty!). There are also various viewpoints, with Khao Ra being the highest spot on the island. Some locations require a bit more of an effort, as you can trek up the mountain. An easy way to explore Koh Phangan is to book a guide who will make sure you get to see everything you want and can also ensure your safety.
Guests can savor delicious seafood and meat dishes at Yukinoya, the resort’s fine dining restaurant, while overlooking the resort and the beach. Breakfast is enjoyed barefoot on the beach with your toes in the sand, and sundowners by the pool at the bar complete that resort life.
WHAT WE LOVE
- Anantara Rasananda and the island of Koh Phangan have so much more to offer than the infamous Fullmoon Party. Book an excursion via the hotel and spend a day exploring the island and chasing waterfalls.
- The beds are heaven! They are extremely comfortable and cozy.
- We love the fact that some rooms are located on the second floor, with beautiful ocean sunrise views in the morning.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Most people on Koh Phangan flock to the island for the Full Moon party. However, Anantara Rasananda is located far away from the hustle and bustle, offering you secluded quietude in nature. If you do have the desire to attend the Fullmoon Party, Anantara Rasananda will provide a shuttle bus or personal driver who will safely take you to the party and bring you back to the hotel at whatever time you desire.
- To get to Koh Phangan you have to travel via Koh Samui and take a speed boat. Factor this in when booking your trip. You can also island hop and include excursions or stays on neighboring island Koh Tao.
The lovely jungle spa is nestled into the hill behind the resort, among koi ponds and green foliage. Like a serene retreat, guests can chill out and indulge in various spa treatments here. Choose between luxe indoor and outdoor treatment rooms, and relax in a herbal bath or in the tropical steam cave, or opt for the signature treatment Rasananda Bliss which includes a floral foot bath, oil massage and after-sun treatment. The highlight of the jungle spa is without a doubt the yoga platform at the very top of the hill, offering breathtaking vistas of the ocean and the lush vegetation.
WHEN YOU SHOULD GO
Best time in terms of climate, as it’s cooler and drier, is December – March. That said, this is also peak season for tourists.
During the hot season from April – June the temperature will reach 40 degrees Celsius.
Try to avoid the wet season from October – November. November is home to monsoons in the Gulf of Thailand.
This is original content from NewsBreak’s Creator Program. Join today to publish and share your own content.