Social distancing at its best. These 17 private destinations turn mere island dreams into reality
Dreaming of untouched beaches, crystal-clear waters, luxurious privacy and seclusion? These 17 private island resorts will open your eyes to a whole different world of relaxed luxury, effortless class, unsurpassed beauty, and of course, utmost privacy. Staying at any one of these private resorts is as close as you can get to owning your very own piece of island paradise.
1. BANWA PRIVATE ISLAND, PALAWAN, PHILIPPINESLocated in North-eastern Palawan in the Sulu Sea, Banwa Private Island is a place where untouched beauty is matched with unparalleled luxury. Set on six hectares of lush landscape and immaculate powdery white sand beaches, the island sits in the midst of a marine protected area and is therefore home to a thriving marine life, including the critically endangered Hawksbill Turtle, the Dugong and various other endangered species. Guests can enjoy complete privacy and tranquility here, without ever having to break out of their cocoon. Banwa offers the ultimate opportunity to switch off, relax, and focus on oneself. Furthermore, barefoot luxury is combined with exquisite personalized service to provide the private island sanctuary of your dreams. Book a single villa or rent all six and have the entire island to yourself.
2. NORTH ISLAND, SEYCHELLESUntouched beaches, lush greenery, and complete privacy make for an extraordinarily exclusive experience at North Island. With only 11 villas, staying here will truly make you feel like you have your very own slice of paradise. The dining experience is just as delectable, with daily menus designed in collaboration with Michelin-starred Chef Akira Back and dishes based on the latest, freshest island harvest. As for the activities on this private island, they are boundless, whether you’re looking to explore and go on a thrill-seeking adventure or just longing to relax and indulge.
3. LAUCALA ISLAND, FIJIWhat do you get when you unite a dramatic rainforest-dotted landscape with immaculate white-sand beaches? Laucala Island. This private island refuge in the South Pacific oozes beauty all around, highlights unmatched luxury and privacy, and focuses on both style and sustainability. This exclusive tropical hideaway features 25 glamorous versions of traditional Fijian-styled villas that are spread out across coconut plantations. Activities on this breathtaking island are bountiful, ranging from relaxing to exhilarating. Whether you want to go on a rainforest walking tour, horseback riding, windsurfing, and kitesurfing or indulge in a Fijian hot-and-cold stone therapy, volcanic soil body scrubs, and mineral crystal therapy, there is definitely something for everyone here.
4. SONG SAA PRIVATE ISLAND, KOH RONG ARCHIPELAGO, CAMBODIAA luxury resort sitting on a private island – is there anything more you can ask for? Song Saa Private Island is an ethical luxury resort in Cambodia that offers luxury, serenity, and a deep connection with the environment. To make you feel luxuriously at home, choose from their jungle villas, ocean view villas, overwater villas, or royal villa, which are all infused with local heart and soul and created with sustainability in mind. To enhance your private island experience, make sure to try out one or all of the countless adventures and activities this resort offers – from snorkeling to island safari to nature treasure hunts.
5. JUMBY BAY ISLAND, LONG ISLAND, ANTIGUAA sanctuary where you can immerse yourself in the beauty of nature and appreciate the luxury of slow-paced living, Jumby Bay Island is considered to be one of the most elegant private islands in the West Indies. Choose from their 22 luxurious yet practical private residences, experience exquisite dining with only the freshest local, organic, and sustainably-sourced ingredients, and explore the several island activities – from sailing adventures to spa and wellness treatments. At Jumby Bay, prepare to discover understated luxury living at its finest.
6. COMO PARROT CAY, TURKS AND CAICOSSet on its own private island, COMO Parrot Cay is an award-winning Turks and Caicos luxury resort. With aesthetically designed rooms, suites, and beach villas matched with COMO’s personalized service, comprehensive holistic therapies, and delectable world-class cuisine, you’re definitely in for an above-and-beyond stay at this resort. Explore hidden coves, swim in pristine beaches, dive in gorgeous reefs, all while experiencing top-notch service and luxurious hospitality, COMO Parrot Cay is truly what your Caribbean dreams are made of.
7. KOKOMO PRIVATE ISLAND FIJIConsidered to be Fiji’s most exclusive private island, Kokomo Private Island is where you will discover sophisticated design, untouched beauty, and effortless luxury all wrapped up in one place. Cradled by the world’s fourth largest reef, the Great Astrolabe Reef, a snorkeling or diving activity here will undoubtedly transport you to a stunning underwater world. On land, experience sustainable design and abundant space in their villas, farm-to-table and dock-to-dish philosophies at their dining venues, and sumptuous treatments at the Yaukuve Spa Sanctuary.
8. FOUR SEASONS PRIVATE ISLAND AT VOAVAH, MALDIVESFour Seasons Private Island at Voavah in the Baa Atoll is the epitome of middle-of-nowhere private island luxury. Escape to this remote paradise where exotic jungle greenery and immaculate white beaches surround you. With only seven bedrooms, this private-island is as private and as secluded as you can dream. Not to mention, this Maldives resort is also the world’s first exclusive-use UNESCO hideaway. Retreat to this natural wilderness and indulge in its sophisticated offerings, such as their effortlessly stylish accommodations, palatable gourmet dishes, rejuvenating bespoke treatments, and adrenaline-packed water activities.
9. THANDA ISLAND, MAFIA ISLAND, TANZANIAA private marine reserve filled with magic and matchless experiences, Thanda Island is a breathtaking tropical island off the east coast of Tanzania. It is considered to be one of the world’s most exclusive island getaways. Surrounded by the turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean, this secluded island has only a single luxurious villa and two traditional Bandas (beach chalets), making it absolutely perfect for family and friends looking to revel in complete privacy. Located in its very own marine reserve, you can experience swimming with whale sharks and watch sea turtles nesting. This pristine haven, defined by its remoteness, will leave your senses captivated and soul enriched.
10. TIME + TIDE MIAVANA, MADAGASCARA signature island experience awaits you at Time + Tide Miavana. Situated in Madagascar, surrounded by the beautiful turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean, this luxurious haven is the perfect combination of fine sophistication and island rawness. Fourteen of their elegantly and painstakingly designed villas feature floor-to-ceiling windows that give way to panoramic views of the ocean. A genuine sense of castaway luxury envelopes this whole island, with remoteness and rarity giving a refreshing feeling to the sojourner longing to escape modern life.
11. LIZARD ISLAND, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIABelieve it or not, the Lizard Island resort literally sits on the wondrous Great Barrier Reef. This means no long boat rides are required to be able to experience one of the greatest natural wonders of the world. This private luxury escape’s location, being the northern most resort on the Great Barrier Reef, truly gives its guests a sense of utmost seclusion from the rest of the world. A stay at Lizard Island includes luxury accommodation, gourmet meals, and signature experiences, like a private beach picnic, romantic sunset cruise, and of course, a bucket-list diving experience at the iconic reef surrounding the island.
12. NECKER ISLAND, BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDSSituated in the Caribbean, in the beautiful and unspoiled British Virgin Islands, Necker Island is a private setting that’s just about as exclusive as it gets. You and 21 of your family and friends can book this gorgeous tropical paradise exclusively – meaning you can have this whole private island all to yourselves. For those of you who are planning to travel not as a huge group, but only as a small family or with your partner, not to fret, you can also just book an individual room during Necker Island’s “Celebration Weeks,” which are held several times a year. Sandy white beaches, crystal clear waters, and an endless list of exciting activities – and that includes partying – await you here.
13. GLADDEN PRIVATE ISLAND, BELIZEThe world’s most private island resort, and rightly considered so, Gladden Private Island offers 100% privacy for just two to four guests. Featuring a spacious 3,000-square-foot villa, which epitomizes casual luxury and boasts stunning views in every room, a stay here is definitely one for the books. Other than the luxurious accommodation and first-rate facilities, Gladden also offers amazing experiences such as paddle boarding above the island’s pristine waters and vibrant reefs, snorkeling and diving in some of the world’s best spots, sipping cocktails as graceful dolphins swim by, and immersing oneself in Belizean culture.
14. AZURA BENGUERRA ISLAND, MOZAMBIQUEAn enchanting island escape of your dreams, Azura Benguerra Island lies within a Marine National Park and is surrounded by deserted white sand beaches and sparkling turquoise waters. Being the first eco-friendly resort in Mozambique, Azura Benguerra was carefully and thoughtfully hand-built by the local community. With only 20 villas on the island, which are all lined up along what happens to be one of the last undiscovered stretches of beach in the world, an experience of utmost privacy and seclusion is within your grasp at this award-winning luxury resort.
15. ISOLA SANTA CRISTINA, VENICE, ITALYPrivate, sophisticated, and natural – three words that perfectly describe Isola Santa Cristina. Sitting on the heart of a lagoon that has inspired many well-known authors and artists, this fully-privatized island features a nine-bedroom villa, organic gardens and orchards, eco-friendly fish farms, and even an ancient chapel. Surrounded by a natural setting, this island retreat is an exclusive environment perfect for special coming-togethers of friends and family or luxurious once-in-a-lifetime celebrations. Encapsulating the tranquility and sophistication of the Venetian lagoon and overlooking sweeping natural vistas, this private island holds a beauty that captivates.
16. ZAYA NURAI ISLAND, ABU DHABI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATESOnly a 15-minute boat ride off the shores of Abu Dhabi and you will be setting foot on an island paradise like nowhere in the world. Zaya Nurai Island is a boutique private island resort that not only boasts crystal clear azure waters and fine white sand beaches, but gorgeous villa accommodation and a world-class oceanside spa as well. The award-winning Nurai Spa features stunning sea views that will take your breath away and indulgent treatments that are tailored to your specific needs and desires.
17. BAWAH RESERVE, ANAMBAS ARCHIPELAGO, INDONESIA A nature inspired luxury resort resting in Indonesia’s remote Anambas Archipelago, Bawah Reserve is surrounded by lush tropical greenery and clear turquoise waters. Previously uninhabited, this pristine marine conservation boasts beautiful blue lagoons and amazing coral reefs. There is something for everyone on this private island – whether you’re an adventurer looking to indulge in nature and the outdoors or a traveler seeking to experience relaxation and luxury.