Thirty-two clubs are at the moment grouped and are to compete to be crowned European champions in May. This is a product of series for qualifying that kicked off in late June. The grouping marks the very beginning of the competition.
The 32 clubs part of the competition were divided into four pots of eight groups. This is the normal procedure for this level of the Champions League.
Pot one was set aside for teams holding both the European trophies and Europe’s top six domestic leagues champions.
The determination of the rest of the pots was based on the UEFA's club coefficient rankings. Each of the six groups of four teams was lettered A-H, with a team from each pot put in each group and those from the same country placed apart.
The clubs placed here are as follows-
- Analysis: Though the draw isn’t through at the moment, let’s just 'Group of Death' this now. Though Club Brugge certainly waters down the strength of the group, it is difficult to see Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain not making it through. It would have been much more interesting, had they had AC Milan.
The team here are:
- Instant Analysis: Okay, this is the killer group, the real 'group of death'. Basically, this is because it is the only group with 4 teams in the top 25 of ClubElo rankings (Atleti 9, Liverpool 3, Porto 23, AC Milan 22). Predicting, Liverpool and Atleti should make it through. However, there wouldn't be surprises, something fluky is seen.
- Instant Analysis: This should be a fun group cos they all have their spice. With the mix-up, they would beat real good. Ajax and BVB look strong to make it through.
- Instant Analysis: Could make an argument that Pot 1 teams are in the weakest state. However, with vibes from RM, they could sneak through.
- Instant Analysis: So far, Barca is strong. Though a couple of injuries could water it down, they should advance with Bayern.
- Instant Analysis: In this one group you could make a great case for three of its team. Predicting, Man U and Atalanta would advance.
Red Bull Salzburg
Instant Analysis: Chelsea and Juventus (with or without Ronaldo) should make an advance.
By the 14th and 15th of September, the first series of matches would begin. Each team in the group will play home and away against every other team in the group. It is usually six matches in total. And the sixth and final matchday has been fixed on the 7th and 8th of December.
After the sixth match, the top two teams from each of the six groups would advance to the next series, and the draw set out for the first knock-out will be on the 13th of December.
By the mid of February next year, the knockout action would then kick-off.
The Champions League final of this season will be played on the 28th of May, 2022 in Saint Petersburg.
The changes in the series this season may mean that UEFA has abolished the goal rules that have been since the year 1996 overall three European competitions.
This is original content from NewsBreak’s Creator Program. Join today to publish and share your own content.