Dr, Noble E. Young and Mrs. N. E. Young, Weekend - Highlight from the Past and Present - by the Empowerment Community Development Corporation - Talking Points by Leanne Robinette, Kristi Nipp and Broderick McGee. Noble E. Young Park History AKA Dr. Noble (Doc) Ernest Young.
The area around Noble E Young Park, north of the intersection of State Highway 155 and Loop 323, is part of a residential community called St. Louis. Settlers had arrived in the area by 1880, when the St. Louis Elementary School, named for St. Louis Missouri. By 1966 St. included the St. Louis, two cemeteries, a church and a sizeable residential district.
It's unclear exactly when St. Louis was established, but by 1971 the community, including the park land was considered part of Tyler proper.
In March 1986 City Council voted to rename St. Louis Park to Noble E. Young Park after pharmacist and philanthropist Dr, Noble E. Young of Tyler, owner of Young's Pharmacy on North Place Avenue. He was known for helping the needy Tyler residents by dispensing free medication and financial aid.
Noble E. Young Skate Park was dedicated by the Tyler City Council and Tyler Parks and Recreation Board on October 24, 1998.
This renovation began in 2022 and was paid for through the Community Development Block Grant.
About Empowerment Community Development Corporation
Under the auspices of the Empowerment Community Development Corporation, which is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit we have 8 flagship programs:
- CAR Texas Academy - (CAR = Coding Aeronautics Robotics Academy™) - Stanley Cofer, program director.
- ENDS - Empowerment Neighborhood Development Services™ - Stanley Cofer, program director.
- I Am Beautiful Movement™ - LaToyia S. Jordan, program director.
- Small and Minority Owned Businesses Initiative™ - Stanley Cofer, program director.
- TAAM - Texas African American Museum™ - Gloria Washington, program director.
- Tour Tyler Texas™ - Clarence Edmond Shackelford, program director.
- Veterans Banquet - LaRhonda Hamilton, program director.
- Learning Pavilion in Wood County ™ - Stanley Cofer, program director.
Sources: https://empowermentcdc.org, - TourTylerTexas@gmail.com
NewsBreak article Sponsored by: LeRoy Francis Sr. DBA Community Funeral Home Tyler and Clarence Edmond Shackelford.