Tour Tyler Texas - All Nations TV - M1Y - Empowerment Community Development Corporation by Clarence Edmond Shackelford (c) 2022:
Judge-Elect Derrick Choice was appointed ahead of schedule as the new justice of the peace for Precinct 1 in Smith County. He was sworn into the office today April 26, 2022, at 3:45 PM in the Smith County Commissioners Court Room, with family, and friends for this special occasion.
Derrick Choice won March 1, 2022 ballet to become the next Smith County Precinct 1 Justice of the Peace winning over Judge Quincy Beavers, Jr. who held that position for 28 years. Judge Beavers vacated the office last week due to some health issues.
- Judge-Elect Derrick Choice accomplishments:
- Big Brothers / Big Sisters
- United Way
- Boys and Girls Club
- Rose City Civitan
- Fit City Tyler
- Salvation Army
- Juneteenth Association of Tyler - 25 years
- Tyler Metro Chamber of Commerce Board Chairman
- Leadership Tyler - Class of VII
- Northeast Texas Regional Mobilization Authority (Loop 49)
- Tyler City Councilman Northwest District 3 - 2001 - 2007
- What is a Justice of the Peace (JP)?
- A Justice of the Peace is a judicial officer of a lower court, elected or appointed by means of a commission to keep the peace. In past centuries the term commissioner of the peace was often used with the same meaning. Depending on the jurisdiction, such justices dispense summary justice or merely deal with local administrative applications in common law jurisdictions.
Justices of the peace are appointed or elected by the citizens of the jurisdiction in which they serve, and are (or were) usually not required to have any formal legal education in order to qualify for the office. Some jurisdictions have varying forms of training for JPs.