U.S. forces will be at the southern border longer than expected. The Department of Defense announced they were sending more military forces as more migrants are crossing the southern border.
At the beginning of the month, NBC News reported troops would stay on the southern border at least through September 30.
Last month, a Pentagon spokesperson, Lieutenant Colonel Devin T, Robinson said:
“On August 24, 2023, the Secretary of Defense approved an extension of up to 400 personnel providing support to Customs and Border Protection on the Southwest border through September 30, 2023.”
Then on Thursday, September 21, NBC reported the Defense Department is sending 800 active duty personnel to the southern border.
The Department of Homeland Security said in a statement the 800 soldiers will stay at least for 90 days to:
"fill critical capability gaps, such as ground-based detection and monitoring, data entry, information analysis, transportation, and supply chain support, until DHS can address these needs through contracted support. This deployment is consistent with other forms of military support to DHS over many years."
Texas sends more military support
While the Department of Defense is sending more military personnel, Texas is adding more National Guard soldiers as well.
The Texas Military Department said in a statement:
"The Texas C-130J cargo aircraft will expedite movements to ensure rapid support as Operation Lone Star increases the response posture at all affected areas to protect Texas against the flood of illegal immigrants and cartel activity impacting our state."
Governor Abbott sent a letter according to a new release criticizing President Joe Biden and the federal government’s response to the southern border.