Looking for a delicious side dish to go with some grilled steaks or baked chicken? This simple recipe from The Food Network for creamy, cheesy scalloped potatoes is so quick and easy, making it the perfect side dish for either lunch or dinner.
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, plus some more for the baking dish
- 4 medium russet potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of whole milk
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 cup of shredded Gruyere (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup of finely grated Parmesan (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish with unsalted butter.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1/8-inch-thick slices using a mandolin or sharp knife.
- Add the sliced potatoes, heavy cream, whole milk, 2 tablespoons butter, garlic, thyme, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and the nutmeg to a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender and almost cooked through but still hold their shape, about 5 minutes. (NOTE: They should not be soft and falling apart.) Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Add the Gruyere and Parmesan, stirring gently to combine. Pour the potato mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake until the top is light golden brown, and the potatoes are cooked through and tender, about 45 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes then serve and ENJOY!