Strawberry season is almost here so it's the perfect time to pull out all those strawberry recipes. We usually get a flat of fresh Ponchatoula strawberries, which is more than enough to bake with, and have some to freeze for later as well. Ponchatoula, Louisiana is well known for its strawberries, even hosting an annual festival in April that attracts thousands of visitors. There is nothing like baking with fresh strawberries and this recipe for glazed strawberry bread is so deliciously refreshing and easy to make, that it's sure to become one of your springtime favorites.
For the bread-
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of chopped strawberries
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 cup of whole milk
- 1/2 cup of canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the glaze-
- 1/3 cup of chopped strawberries
- 1 cup of confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon of butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In one mixing bowl, mix the sugar, milk, oil, egg and vanilla together.
- In another mixing bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined.
- Gentle fold the chopped strawberries into the batter.
- Pour the batter into a greased 5 by 9 bread loaf pan.
- Bake for approximately 45 to 55 minutes, until the toothpick test comes out clean.
- While the bread is cooling. make the glaze.
- To make the glaze, combine the confectioners sugar, butter, whipping cream, vanilla extract and strawberries and whisk until it is smooth and creamy.
- Once the bread has completely cool, pour the glaze on top of the bread.
Serve and enjoy!
Comments / 5