Bremerton, WA

Someone Brutally Murdered A Mother And Her 4-Year-Old Daughter As Her 7-Month-Old Son Watched

The Vivid Faces of the Vanished
4-year-old Adrienne HalePhoto byFacebook

Helene “Nikki” Anderson was born on October 15, 1958. She lived in Indiana most of her life, but in the early 80s, she moved to Bremerton, Washington, with her boyfriend, Kenny Hale. Kenny was in the Navy, and on November 9, 1981, Nikki gave birth to their daughter, Adrienne Hale.

Although Nikki and Kenny split not long after the birth of Adrienne, the pair remained close friends and co-parented well, the Cosmic Bigfoot podcast reports.

Nikki lived in a duplex on Magnolia Drive in East Bremerton and was a cook at a local Arby’s. She eventually met another man, Otha Tucker, who she had a son they named Marcus. Nikki and Otha became engaged, and in 1986, they planned to move out to San Diego, California, where he was stationed after a transfer, with her children.

On Wednesday, January 29, 1986, Kenny stopped by to say goodnight to their 4-year-old daughter, Adrienne, something he did regularly. He left between 8:30 and 9:00 pm.

The following Thursday evening, he knocked on the door, but never received a response.

“And as I turned to walk towards my car, I heard a sound coming from the other side of the door, and it was Marcus,” Kenny told The Daily Beast.

Upon hearing 7-month-old Marcus crying, he became concerned and found that the front door was unlocked.

“When I stepped in, I tripped, and when I reached down, it was Adrienne’s leg that I grabbed,” Kenny told The Daily Beast. He told the outlet his “heart dropped” when he realized that Adrienne’s leg was “stiff.”

Kenny ran to a neighbor’s house with Marcus and returned moments later.

“I immediately just started giving Adrienne CPR because I didn’t know how long [she’d been there],” Kenny told The Daily Beast. “I’m blowing and seeing her chest kind of move and I’m saying in my head, ‘What happened? What happened? What happened?’”

The Bremerton Police arrived and placed Kenny in the back of a patrol car.

Investigators discovered the bodies of 27-year-old Nikki and 4-year-old Adrienne a few feet apart. Nikki had multiple wounds to the back of her head, and someone sexually assaulted the young mother of two. Nikki had multiple defensive wounds, showing she brutally fought for the lives of her children. Both she and Adrienne died of strangulation.

“It’s a toughie, because they died so closely together in time that there’s no way for us to know who died first,” Bremerton Police Detective Martin Garland told The Daily Beast.

Authorities believe the assailant attacked Nikki and Adrienne heard the attack and came into the room.

““Adrienne had made a run for the front door. She was just inside the front door” with “the comforter from her bed right next to her.

Whatever she witnessed or heard made her sprint for the door, and she was caught just before she was able to get out of the house. … She was just that close,” Bremerton Police Detective Martin Garland told The Daily Beast.

The assailant then killed Adrienne to eliminate any witnesses. They believe Marcus was the sole survivor because of his young age.

“This person realized that Marcus just wouldn’t be able to identify him,” Detective Martin Garland told The Daily Beast.

However, they believe the assailant had contact with Marcus.

“It looks like our bad guy, either during or after the homicides, picked up the baby and put the baby in that pack-and-play area,”

Bremerton Police Detective Martin Garland told The Daily Beast.

“You think about just how crazy that is, you know, that this person has just murdered your sister and murdered your mother, and now is taking the time to pick you up and put you into an area where I guess he’s thinking that you won’t be as likely to get harmed or hurt?”

In the beginning, Kenny Hale was the prime suspect in the case. The father had an alibi and DNA evidence cleared him.

He loves Adrienne.

“She was a gift from God,” Kenny told The Daily Beast. “You know, you hear stories about people far more advanced [than their age] and Adrienne was one of those individuals.… Her smile and her little personality, just the way she conducted herself. As I’m talking to you now, I look at my wall and my wall is filled with pictures of Adrienne and my [other] daughter now.”

He has remained extremely cooperative with the police department and continues to seek justice for Nikki and Adrienne.

“It gets kinda hard to go back and relive the story,” Kenny told The Daily Beast. “But as long as I got air in my lungs and am able to tell their story.… I’ll keep telling their story until I can’t tell it no more.”

The investigators allegedly found a drop of blood on little Adrienne's nightgown, which did not belong to Nikki or Adrienne..

“All the DNA that we’ve collected from [people interviewed early on] … as well as a bunch of other folks along the way, none of it has led to anything that we think is involved with the crime,” Detective Martin Garland told The Daily Beast. “We have DNA that we are not legally able to compare to the CODIS database, so we’re forced to do one-on-one comparisons with it.”

Although detectives questioned multiple people, administered multiple DNA tests, and interviewed family members, there are no named suspects in this double homicide. Marcus was raised by his father in Mississippi. So far, both have declined to speak with reporters regarding this case.

If you have any information, please contact the Bremerton Police Department at (360)-473-5488 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.

You can read and listen to the case on the Cosmic Bigfoot Podcast here:

This is original content from NewsBreak’s Creator Program. Join today to publish and share your own content.

Comments / 2

Published by

The Vivid Faces of the Vanished tells the stories of missing and murdered minorities and real stories about everyday life situations. Readers are invited to submit tips on cases, suggest new and cold cases, and submit their real-life stories to share.

Columbus, OH

More from The Vivid Faces of the Vanished

Mystery of Charitable Doctor Vanished in Tijuana

Dr. Hugues Bellevue is a charitable oncologist. Dr. Bellevue lived at 1987 McCloud River Road in Chula Vista, but he owned a clinic in Mexico. On November 13, 2013, 59-year-old Dr. Bellvue vanished from his clinic, Saint Marc Hospital, in Playas de Tijuana, Mexico. Authorities believe he was driving his white 2001 Chevrolet Astro van with license plate number 4PHF788 to Chula Vista, California. When the Mexican police executed a search warrant at Dr. Bellvue's clinic, they discovered there was furniture missing. The furniture was found at a different location. The family of Dr. Bellevue hired private investigator Bill Garcia.“This furniture ended up with some blood splatter that was deemed to be his DNA. There was high-velocity blood splatter that was found in different areas of the room,” Bill Garcia told CBS 8. Investigators interviewed witnesses who said they heard gunshots on the night that Dr. Bellevue vanished. “Unfortunately, we believe he lost his life on the day he went missing,” Bill Garcia told CBS 8. “There's dozens and dozens, almost a hundred elements of evidence in this case, and a year and a half later it still hasn't seen a judge."Bill Garcia believes Dr. Bellvue was targeted for money by those familiar with his business."They saw Dr. Bellevue as a cash cow and thought they could go back and essentially extort him for money,” Bill Garcia told CBS 8. Dr. Hugues Bellevue is 5'11'' and weighed 165 pounds when he vanished. If you have any information, please contact the Chula Vista Police Department at 619-691-5151.

Read full story
Atlanta, GA

Where Is Darron? The Foster Child Who Never Came Home

Darron Glass lived with his foster mother, Fannie Mae Smith, at 2289 Memorial Drive Southeast in Atlanta, Georgia. Both of Darron's parents are deceased and he was a ward of the state. DeKalb County paid Fannie $3.29 per day for Darron, described by Fannie as a "typical 10-year-old boy who liked to eat, drink Kool-Aid, play records and make noise," she told reporters. On September 14, 1980, Darron planned to meet a local church group to ride to an Atlanta Braves baseball game on the church bus. According to Fannie, he never arrived home. Some reports state Darron was seen getting off the school bus at the corner of Glenwood Avenue SE and Second Ave SE in Atlanta. When Darron disappeared, Fannie put a trace on her phone but took it off because the trace cost $1 per month. One day, someone called with an emergency call from "Darron" but when Fannie answered, there was silence on the other end, and the call disconnected. The person never called back. Shortly after Darron vanished, Fannie began requesting money in exchange for interviews. Darron's case worker, Thomas Bailey, expressed concerns to his supervisor about Darron living in the Smith home. He felt the placement was "unsuitable" for Darron, but his concerns were ignored. On November 15, 1980, the day after Darron vanished, Thomas received a call from a woman who claimed to be his sister and wanted to adopt Darron. Thomas advised the caller that Darron was missing and the woman hung up and never called back. Darron Glass has never been found. Darron Glass was 4'9" and weighed 75 pounds when he vanished. If you have any information about his disappearance, please contact the Federal Bureau of Investigation at the Atlanta, Georgia Office at 404-679-9000.

Read full story
Nashville, TN

The Mystery of George Owens

My name is George Owens. I lived in Nashville, Tennessee with my wife, who I was married to for over 60 years. In the summer of 1985, my wife went to Ohio to visit and when she returned on July 22, 1985, I drove to pick her up from the bus station. I never arrived. My brother picked my wife up when she was unable to reach me. When she arrived home, I was gone, along with my car, a 1972 Dodge Dart. My wife reported me missing and people started calling in with sightings of me. I was sighted on Route 13, 80 miles away from Nashville, between 9:00 and 10:00 a.m., on July 22, 1985. This was the same day I was supposed to pick my wife up and hours afterward. I stopped at a service station in Santa Fe, Tennessee to have a flat tire repaired and I paid for the tire in cash. I asked the attendant for directions to Nolensville, Tennessee. The attendant misunderstood and gave me directions to Lobelville, Tennessee, which was in the opposite direction. I was seen at a store in Lobelville where I seemed disoriented and asked for my wife. I have never been seen or heard from again. On July 28, 1985, my 1972 Dodge Dart was found more than 100 miles from my home on a remote hilltop in Perry County, Tennessee. The keys were in the ignition, the driver's side window was open, the battery was dead, and my cane was propped against my car. It appeared as if I was trying to start a campfire. A witness said they saw a truck follow my car down the road where it was found and the truck came back out shortly after, but my vehicle never did. I have never been found. My precious wife of sixty years died in 1989 never knowing what happened to me. If you have any information about my disappearance, please contact the Perry County Sheriff's Department at 931-589-8803.

Read full story

Comments / 0