Greensboro, NC

A Missing North Carolina Mother And 2-Year-Old Son Were Found Burned Beyond Recognition In Trunk Of Her Car

The Vivid Faces of the Vanished
Asia Brown and Ashton BrownPhoto byFacebook

Asia Brown worked as a security guard in Greensboro, North Carolina, to support her 2-year-old son, Ashton. In February 2015, she purchased a 2005 Buick Lacrosse for her and her son. On February 20, 2015, around 1:30 pm, Asia went to the DMV in High Point, North Carolina and registered her new vehicle in her name, the Greensboro Police Department reports.

At around 3:20 pm on February 20, 2015, 22-year-old Asia Brown visited an Auto Zone on Randleman Road in Greensboro. She purchased some accessories for her new vehicle, a 2005 Buick Lacrosse she purchased in High Point, North Carolina. Surveillance cameras show she was alone, and her 2-year-old son, Ashton, was not with her.

On February 23, 2015, authorities responded to a fire in a field on the dead-end Industrial Drive in Greensboro. There they found Asia’s 2005 Buick Lacrosse engulfed in flames. When they opened the trunk, they discovered the scorched remains of 22-year-old Asia Brown and her 2-year-old son Ashton.

Someone badly burned their bodies and placed them in the trunk, making it impossible for authorities to determine their cause of death or if they were dead or alive.

Greensboro Police Detective Mike Matthews released the following statement to WFMY:

“We learned that she was last seen alive on Friday, February 20 at around 3:20 p.m. in the afternoon at the AutoZone on Randleman road. [Asia] apparently got the car in High Point, went to the AutoZone to get some accessories. Ashton was not in the store with her. I’m not gonna guess where Ashton was. The big things we’re missing is if somebody had seen Asia or Ashton around that time frame that Friday, Feb. 20. That is somebody we need to talk to. If she had had time to drop that child off before going in the store we need to talk to the person she dropped the child off with or anybody who saw her drop the child off. That would be very important in this investigation.”

Timeline of Events:

Friday, Feb. 20, 2015 - Asia Brown went to the DMV office in High Point, North Carolina to register her 2005 Buick Lacrosse in her name around 1:30 pm.

Friday, Feb. 20, 2015 - Asia was inside the AutoZone at 3033 Randleman Road. Ashton was not with her inside the store around 3:20 pm.

Saturday, Feb. 21, 2015 - Asia failed to show up for her security guard job in Greensboro.

Sunday, Feb. 22, 2015 - Asia failed to report to work again. They reported her and Ashton missing.

Monday, Feb. 23, 2015 -22-year-old Asia and 2-year-old Ashton are found dead in the trunk of the burned Buick Lacrosse.

On May 19, 2015, the Greensboro Police Department announced that DNA test results positively identified the remains of Asia and Ashton.

Although authorities followed up on multiple tips, there are no named suspects in their heinous murders. There is currently a $15,000 reward for any information on their horrific homicides. If you have information, please contact Crime Stoppers at 336-373-1000.

This is original content from NewsBreak’s Creator Program. Join today to publish and share your own content.

Comments / 13

Published by

The Vivid Faces of the Vanished tells the stories of missing and murdered minorities and real stories about everyday life situations. Readers are invited to submit tips on cases, suggest new and cold cases, and submit their real-life stories to share.

Columbus, OH

More from The Vivid Faces of the Vanished

Chula Vista, CA

Mystery of Charitable Doctor Vanished in Tijuana

Dr. Hugues Bellevue is a charitable oncologist. Dr. Bellevue lived at 1987 McCloud River Road in Chula Vista, but he owned a clinic in Mexico. On November 13, 2013, 59-year-old Dr. Bellvue vanished from his clinic, Saint Marc Hospital, in Playas de Tijuana, Mexico. Authorities believe he was driving his white 2001 Chevrolet Astro van with license plate number 4PHF788 to Chula Vista, California. When the Mexican police executed a search warrant at Dr. Bellvue's clinic, they discovered there was furniture missing. The furniture was found at a different location. The family of Dr. Bellevue hired private investigator Bill Garcia.“This furniture ended up with some blood splatter that was deemed to be his DNA. There was high-velocity blood splatter that was found in different areas of the room,” Bill Garcia told CBS 8. Investigators interviewed witnesses who said they heard gunshots on the night that Dr. Bellevue vanished. “Unfortunately, we believe he lost his life on the day he went missing,” Bill Garcia told CBS 8. “There's dozens and dozens, almost a hundred elements of evidence in this case, and a year and a half later it still hasn't seen a judge."Bill Garcia believes Dr. Bellvue was targeted for money by those familiar with his business."They saw Dr. Bellevue as a cash cow and thought they could go back and essentially extort him for money,” Bill Garcia told CBS 8. Dr. Hugues Bellevue is 5'11'' and weighed 165 pounds when he vanished. If you have any information, please contact the Chula Vista Police Department at 619-691-5151.

Read full story
Atlanta, GA

Where Is Darron? The Foster Child Who Never Came Home

Darron Glass lived with his foster mother, Fannie Mae Smith, at 2289 Memorial Drive Southeast in Atlanta, Georgia. Both of Darron's parents are deceased and he was a ward of the state. DeKalb County paid Fannie $3.29 per day for Darron, described by Fannie as a "typical 10-year-old boy who liked to eat, drink Kool-Aid, play records and make noise," she told reporters. On September 14, 1980, Darron planned to meet a local church group to ride to an Atlanta Braves baseball game on the church bus. According to Fannie, he never arrived home. Some reports state Darron was seen getting off the school bus at the corner of Glenwood Avenue SE and Second Ave SE in Atlanta. When Darron disappeared, Fannie put a trace on her phone but took it off because the trace cost $1 per month. One day, someone called with an emergency call from "Darron" but when Fannie answered, there was silence on the other end, and the call disconnected. The person never called back. Shortly after Darron vanished, Fannie began requesting money in exchange for interviews. Darron's case worker, Thomas Bailey, expressed concerns to his supervisor about Darron living in the Smith home. He felt the placement was "unsuitable" for Darron, but his concerns were ignored. On November 15, 1980, the day after Darron vanished, Thomas received a call from a woman who claimed to be his sister and wanted to adopt Darron. Thomas advised the caller that Darron was missing and the woman hung up and never called back. Darron Glass has never been found. Darron Glass was 4'9" and weighed 75 pounds when he vanished. If you have any information about his disappearance, please contact the Federal Bureau of Investigation at the Atlanta, Georgia Office at 404-679-9000.

Read full story
Nashville, TN

The Mystery of George Owens

My name is George Owens. I lived in Nashville, Tennessee with my wife, who I was married to for over 60 years. In the summer of 1985, my wife went to Ohio to visit and when she returned on July 22, 1985, I drove to pick her up from the bus station. I never arrived. My brother picked my wife up when she was unable to reach me. When she arrived home, I was gone, along with my car, a 1972 Dodge Dart. My wife reported me missing and people started calling in with sightings of me. I was sighted on Route 13, 80 miles away from Nashville, between 9:00 and 10:00 a.m., on July 22, 1985. This was the same day I was supposed to pick my wife up and hours afterward. I stopped at a service station in Santa Fe, Tennessee to have a flat tire repaired and I paid for the tire in cash. I asked the attendant for directions to Nolensville, Tennessee. The attendant misunderstood and gave me directions to Lobelville, Tennessee, which was in the opposite direction. I was seen at a store in Lobelville where I seemed disoriented and asked for my wife. I have never been seen or heard from again. On July 28, 1985, my 1972 Dodge Dart was found more than 100 miles from my home on a remote hilltop in Perry County, Tennessee. The keys were in the ignition, the driver's side window was open, the battery was dead, and my cane was propped against my car. It appeared as if I was trying to start a campfire. A witness said they saw a truck follow my car down the road where it was found and the truck came back out shortly after, but my vehicle never did. I have never been found. My precious wife of sixty years died in 1989 never knowing what happened to me. If you have any information about my disappearance, please contact the Perry County Sheriff's Department at 931-589-8803.

Read full story

Comments / 0