Atlanta, GA

Seven Babies Stolen From Grady Memorial Hospital And One Mother Followed Home: Two Babies Have Never Been Found

The Vivid Faces of the Vanished
Tavish Sutton (top) Age Progression to 17 years (top right) Raymond Green (bottom left), and Raymond Green Kidnapping Suspect (bottom right)Photo byFacebook

Grady Memorial Hospital is a major hospital located in downtown Atlanta, Georgia. Grady opened in 1892 and has one of the busiest Level 1 trauma centers in the nation. According to the Becker Hospital review 2023, Grady is the 26th largest hospital in the US and ranks #4 for most ED visits.

Grady Memorial also holds another record. The National center for Missing and Exploited Children conducted a 20-year study that revealed Grady as the #1 hospital for infant abductions from 1983-1996.

Between the late 70s and the early 80s, the abduction of eight black babies were related to Grady Hospital. Seven babies were stolen directly from the hospital and one baby, Raymond Green, was stolen after his mother was followed home from the Grady delivery ward. Raymond and another child, Tavish Sutton, have never been found.

Raymond Green - November 6, 1978

Donna Green was a young 16-year-old mother in 1978. She had a daughter named Raymonda and gave birth to a son, Raymond Green, on November 1, 1978, at Grady Hospital.

According to the Charley Project, a few hours after giving birth to Raymond, Donna went to the nursery to see her newborn son. It was there she met a woman named “Lisa Morris”. “Lisa” said she was visiting her sister and he newborn niece. She pointed to a baby girl through the glass and told Donna the baby was her niece, as she asked which baby was hers. Donna pointed to Raymond, and the two had conversation from there. The next day, “Lisa” was back and asking Donna more questions like, what was her baby’s name? Who was the baby’s father? Where was he?

On day 3, Donna and Raymond were discharged. “Lisa” asked if she could get a ride from the hospital with them. The person who picked Donna and her baby up, dropped them off first in the Carver Homes in Southeast Atlanta. Donna realizes this is how “Lisa” found out where she lived.

On November 6, 1978,” Lisa” showed up at Donna’s house uninvited. Donna, her brother Tony Thompson, Raymond, and her baby nephew Mike were at the house. Donna let “Lisa” into the house, and they all sat and talked. Donna went upstairs to take a shower and left Tony and “Lisa” downstairs with the kids. Tony said he was holding Mike on his shoulder, and he and the baby dozed off.

When Donna came back downstairs, “Lisa” and Raymond were gone. She has never seen her son again.

Donna said “Lisa” was in her early twenties, about 5’5” tall, light skinned with full lips and a mole on her face.

Donna has never given up her search for her son.

Shanta Yvette Alexander - August 4, 1981

On August 4, 1981, a woman later identified as Louise Lett, stole newborn Shanta Alexander from her crib on the maternity ward of Grady hospital when her mother left the room briefly to get a gown. Authorities launched an investigation and search, and a tip led them to the home of Louise Lett in Decatur, Georgia. Shanta was found six weeks later and reunited with her family on September 18, 1981.

Tavish Sutton - March 9, 1993

Wanda Sutton lived in Atlanta, Georgia with her four children. During March of 1993, she was institutionalized for schizophrenia. At this time, her children were in the custody of Family and Children Services and placed in foster care.

On March 9, 1993, her 1-month-old son, Tavish Sutton, was in Hughes Spalding Pediatric Unit of Grady Memorial Hospital recovering from a minor surgery. A nurse checked on Tavish at 6:45 am. Tavish was fine. According to the Charley Project, Tavish had another infant as roommate. When the nurse checked on Tavish, his roommate was there, the roommate's mother and sister were asleep on a couch in the room.

His room was checked again at 7:00 am. Tavish was gone. He has never been seen again.

Authorities conducted a thorough investigation and ruled out the infant roommate’s family members as well as Wanda and her family members as suspects and determined they had nothing to do with the abduction.

In March of 1995, Wanda sued Grady Memorial Hospital and settled with them out of court for $600,000.

Tavish Sutton has never been found.

The podcast, The Fall Line, has an informative three-part series, The Grady Baby Kidnappings, that dives into these abductions, with the help of Donna Green.,several%20had%20been%20forgotten%20completely.

If you have any information on the whereabouts of Raymond Green or Tavish Sutton, please contact 1-800-THE-LOST or 1-404-658-6666.

This is original content from NewsBreak’s Creator Program. Join today to publish and share your own content.

Comments / 1

Published by

The Vivid Faces of the Vanished tells the stories of missing and murdered minorities and real stories about everyday life situations. Readers are invited to submit tips on cases, suggest new and cold cases, and submit their real-life stories to share.

Columbus, OH

More from The Vivid Faces of the Vanished

Mystery of Charitable Doctor Vanished in Tijuana

Dr. Hugues Bellevue is a charitable oncologist. Dr. Bellevue lived at 1987 McCloud River Road in Chula Vista, but he owned a clinic in Mexico. On November 13, 2013, 59-year-old Dr. Bellvue vanished from his clinic, Saint Marc Hospital, in Playas de Tijuana, Mexico. Authorities believe he was driving his white 2001 Chevrolet Astro van with license plate number 4PHF788 to Chula Vista, California. When the Mexican police executed a search warrant at Dr. Bellvue's clinic, they discovered there was furniture missing. The furniture was found at a different location. The family of Dr. Bellevue hired private investigator Bill Garcia.“This furniture ended up with some blood splatter that was deemed to be his DNA. There was high-velocity blood splatter that was found in different areas of the room,” Bill Garcia told CBS 8. Investigators interviewed witnesses who said they heard gunshots on the night that Dr. Bellevue vanished. “Unfortunately, we believe he lost his life on the day he went missing,” Bill Garcia told CBS 8. “There's dozens and dozens, almost a hundred elements of evidence in this case, and a year and a half later it still hasn't seen a judge."Bill Garcia believes Dr. Bellvue was targeted for money by those familiar with his business."They saw Dr. Bellevue as a cash cow and thought they could go back and essentially extort him for money,” Bill Garcia told CBS 8. Dr. Hugues Bellevue is 5'11'' and weighed 165 pounds when he vanished. If you have any information, please contact the Chula Vista Police Department at 619-691-5151.

Read full story
Atlanta, GA

Where Is Darron? The Foster Child Who Never Came Home

Darron Glass lived with his foster mother, Fannie Mae Smith, at 2289 Memorial Drive Southeast in Atlanta, Georgia. Both of Darron's parents are deceased and he was a ward of the state. DeKalb County paid Fannie $3.29 per day for Darron, described by Fannie as a "typical 10-year-old boy who liked to eat, drink Kool-Aid, play records and make noise," she told reporters. On September 14, 1980, Darron planned to meet a local church group to ride to an Atlanta Braves baseball game on the church bus. According to Fannie, he never arrived home. Some reports state Darron was seen getting off the school bus at the corner of Glenwood Avenue SE and Second Ave SE in Atlanta. When Darron disappeared, Fannie put a trace on her phone but took it off because the trace cost $1 per month. One day, someone called with an emergency call from "Darron" but when Fannie answered, there was silence on the other end, and the call disconnected. The person never called back. Shortly after Darron vanished, Fannie began requesting money in exchange for interviews. Darron's case worker, Thomas Bailey, expressed concerns to his supervisor about Darron living in the Smith home. He felt the placement was "unsuitable" for Darron, but his concerns were ignored. On November 15, 1980, the day after Darron vanished, Thomas received a call from a woman who claimed to be his sister and wanted to adopt Darron. Thomas advised the caller that Darron was missing and the woman hung up and never called back. Darron Glass has never been found. Darron Glass was 4'9" and weighed 75 pounds when he vanished. If you have any information about his disappearance, please contact the Federal Bureau of Investigation at the Atlanta, Georgia Office at 404-679-9000.

Read full story
Nashville, TN

The Mystery of George Owens

My name is George Owens. I lived in Nashville, Tennessee with my wife, who I was married to for over 60 years. In the summer of 1985, my wife went to Ohio to visit and when she returned on July 22, 1985, I drove to pick her up from the bus station. I never arrived. My brother picked my wife up when she was unable to reach me. When she arrived home, I was gone, along with my car, a 1972 Dodge Dart. My wife reported me missing and people started calling in with sightings of me. I was sighted on Route 13, 80 miles away from Nashville, between 9:00 and 10:00 a.m., on July 22, 1985. This was the same day I was supposed to pick my wife up and hours afterward. I stopped at a service station in Santa Fe, Tennessee to have a flat tire repaired and I paid for the tire in cash. I asked the attendant for directions to Nolensville, Tennessee. The attendant misunderstood and gave me directions to Lobelville, Tennessee, which was in the opposite direction. I was seen at a store in Lobelville where I seemed disoriented and asked for my wife. I have never been seen or heard from again. On July 28, 1985, my 1972 Dodge Dart was found more than 100 miles from my home on a remote hilltop in Perry County, Tennessee. The keys were in the ignition, the driver's side window was open, the battery was dead, and my cane was propped against my car. It appeared as if I was trying to start a campfire. A witness said they saw a truck follow my car down the road where it was found and the truck came back out shortly after, but my vehicle never did. I have never been found. My precious wife of sixty years died in 1989 never knowing what happened to me. If you have any information about my disappearance, please contact the Perry County Sheriff's Department at 931-589-8803.

Read full story

Comments / 0