Philadelphia, PA

The Unsolved Murder Of The Manager And Former Girlfriend Of R&B Singer Teddy Pendergrass. Who Killed Taaz?

The Vivid Faces of the Vanished
Taazmayia "Taaz" Lang, Taaz and Teddy PendergrassPhoto byFacebook

Taazmayia "Taaz" Melanie Lang was a beautiful and talented woman who hung out with celebrities and was close friends with several well-known people in the music industry. She was reportedly friends with Dionne Warwick and Nancy Wilson. One of the people she was most known for being connected to is the late R&B crooner, Teddy Pendergrass. Taaz was his manager and one-time girlfriend.

The manager of Teddy Bear Productions, located at 215 South Broad Street, Taaz was estranged from her husband, former Philadelphia Eagles fullback, Israel "Izzy" Lang, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

On Thursday, April 14, 1977, Taaz spent most of the day in New York, finishing up details for a tour for Teddy. Although the two were no longer dating, she continued to manage the popular singer.

She spoke with her mother, Eva Ritter, around 10:00 pm and told her she would be home, the Philadelphia Daily News reported.

Around 11:30 pm, Tazz returned home from work with an associate, Jo-Jo Tynes. She was in the driveway of her residence at 700 West Allen's Lane in the Mount Airy neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, when an unidentified assailant emerged from some bushes and shot Taaz once in the chest.

Taaz was rushed to Germantown Hospital where she was pronounced dead at 11:42 pm.

According to Teddy Pendergrass's autobiography, Truly Blessed, Teddy said, " Taaz was tending to business but got back to Philly in time to say goodbye before I left. We promised to talk the next day." He went on to say, " As the rest of the entourage checked into the hotel, a desk clerk said, 'Mr. Pendergrass, you have an urgent message from Philadelphia.' I dialed the number and was informed that Taaz had been murdered. I was in shock."

Teddy Pendergrass continued to state, "Apparently the night before, Taaz and Jo Jo Tynes, an employee of mine, drove my Mercedes to her home. Jo Jo was getting something out of the trunk, and Taaz was getting out her keys to open the front door when someone emerged from the bushes and shot her point-blank range. The bullet passed through her arm and pierced her heart. She died almost instantly."

Teddy Pendergrass also stated, " I have never gotten over her murder."

Rumors immediately spread that her murder was the result of a hit. A robbery was not involved, and Jo-Jo was left uninjured. Authorities allegedly suspected the Black Mafia of Philadelphia, as they were resentful of the control Taaz had over Teddy's career.

Her funeral was held on April 19, 1977, and the Reverand Jessie Jackson delivered her eulogy at Second Macedonia Baptist Church. Taaz was laid to rest in Chelten Hills Cemetery in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

They have made no arrests in the homicide of Taazmayia "Taaz" Melanie Lang.

This is original content from NewsBreak’s Creator Program. Join today to publish and share your own content.

Comments / 2

Published by

The Vivid Faces of the Vanished tells the stories of missing and murdered minorities and real stories about everyday life situations. Readers are invited to submit tips on cases, suggest new and cold cases, and submit their real-life stories to share.

Columbus, OH

More from The Vivid Faces of the Vanished

Mystery of Charitable Doctor Vanished in Tijuana

Dr. Hugues Bellevue is a charitable oncologist. Dr. Bellevue lived at 1987 McCloud River Road in Chula Vista, but he owned a clinic in Mexico. On November 13, 2013, 59-year-old Dr. Bellvue vanished from his clinic, Saint Marc Hospital, in Playas de Tijuana, Mexico. Authorities believe he was driving his white 2001 Chevrolet Astro van with license plate number 4PHF788 to Chula Vista, California. When the Mexican police executed a search warrant at Dr. Bellvue's clinic, they discovered there was furniture missing. The furniture was found at a different location. The family of Dr. Bellevue hired private investigator Bill Garcia.“This furniture ended up with some blood splatter that was deemed to be his DNA. There was high-velocity blood splatter that was found in different areas of the room,” Bill Garcia told CBS 8. Investigators interviewed witnesses who said they heard gunshots on the night that Dr. Bellevue vanished. “Unfortunately, we believe he lost his life on the day he went missing,” Bill Garcia told CBS 8. “There's dozens and dozens, almost a hundred elements of evidence in this case, and a year and a half later it still hasn't seen a judge."Bill Garcia believes Dr. Bellvue was targeted for money by those familiar with his business."They saw Dr. Bellevue as a cash cow and thought they could go back and essentially extort him for money,” Bill Garcia told CBS 8. Dr. Hugues Bellevue is 5'11'' and weighed 165 pounds when he vanished. If you have any information, please contact the Chula Vista Police Department at 619-691-5151.

Read full story
Atlanta, GA

Where Is Darron? The Foster Child Who Never Came Home

Darron Glass lived with his foster mother, Fannie Mae Smith, at 2289 Memorial Drive Southeast in Atlanta, Georgia. Both of Darron's parents are deceased and he was a ward of the state. DeKalb County paid Fannie $3.29 per day for Darron, described by Fannie as a "typical 10-year-old boy who liked to eat, drink Kool-Aid, play records and make noise," she told reporters. On September 14, 1980, Darron planned to meet a local church group to ride to an Atlanta Braves baseball game on the church bus. According to Fannie, he never arrived home. Some reports state Darron was seen getting off the school bus at the corner of Glenwood Avenue SE and Second Ave SE in Atlanta. When Darron disappeared, Fannie put a trace on her phone but took it off because the trace cost $1 per month. One day, someone called with an emergency call from "Darron" but when Fannie answered, there was silence on the other end, and the call disconnected. The person never called back. Shortly after Darron vanished, Fannie began requesting money in exchange for interviews. Darron's case worker, Thomas Bailey, expressed concerns to his supervisor about Darron living in the Smith home. He felt the placement was "unsuitable" for Darron, but his concerns were ignored. On November 15, 1980, the day after Darron vanished, Thomas received a call from a woman who claimed to be his sister and wanted to adopt Darron. Thomas advised the caller that Darron was missing and the woman hung up and never called back. Darron Glass has never been found. Darron Glass was 4'9" and weighed 75 pounds when he vanished. If you have any information about his disappearance, please contact the Federal Bureau of Investigation at the Atlanta, Georgia Office at 404-679-9000.

Read full story
Nashville, TN

The Mystery of George Owens

My name is George Owens. I lived in Nashville, Tennessee with my wife, who I was married to for over 60 years. In the summer of 1985, my wife went to Ohio to visit and when she returned on July 22, 1985, I drove to pick her up from the bus station. I never arrived. My brother picked my wife up when she was unable to reach me. When she arrived home, I was gone, along with my car, a 1972 Dodge Dart. My wife reported me missing and people started calling in with sightings of me. I was sighted on Route 13, 80 miles away from Nashville, between 9:00 and 10:00 a.m., on July 22, 1985. This was the same day I was supposed to pick my wife up and hours afterward. I stopped at a service station in Santa Fe, Tennessee to have a flat tire repaired and I paid for the tire in cash. I asked the attendant for directions to Nolensville, Tennessee. The attendant misunderstood and gave me directions to Lobelville, Tennessee, which was in the opposite direction. I was seen at a store in Lobelville where I seemed disoriented and asked for my wife. I have never been seen or heard from again. On July 28, 1985, my 1972 Dodge Dart was found more than 100 miles from my home on a remote hilltop in Perry County, Tennessee. The keys were in the ignition, the driver's side window was open, the battery was dead, and my cane was propped against my car. It appeared as if I was trying to start a campfire. A witness said they saw a truck follow my car down the road where it was found and the truck came back out shortly after, but my vehicle never did. I have never been found. My precious wife of sixty years died in 1989 never knowing what happened to me. If you have any information about my disappearance, please contact the Perry County Sheriff's Department at 931-589-8803.

Read full story

Comments / 0