Columbus, OH

These Horrific Homicides Of Multiple Black Women Remained Unsolved In Columbus, Ohio: Part 3

The Vivid Faces of the Vanished
Belva Copeland, Shaniqua Dawkins-Turner, Infhon'e Edwards, Jasmine Johnson, Kaykimia Ruffin, Olivia Kurtz, Osjahnique Giles, and Sade PaynePhoto byThe Ohio Attorney General's Office

The following unsolved homicides of these black women in Columbus, Ohio remain listed as unsolved on the Ohio Attorney General's website:

Osjahnique Eugia Nicole Giles- Case #3594

On December 14, 2020, the Columbus Police Department received a call about shots fired in the 6000 block of Livingston Avenue. When officers arrived at 6175 Livingston Avenue, they found 20-year-old Osjahnique Eugia Nicole Giles and a 16-year-old suffering from gunshot wounds. Osjahnique was transported to a local hospital where she died of her injuries at 11:30 pm.

Infhon’e Edwards - Case #3596

On December 10, 2020, a 27-year-old mother of three, Infhon’e Edwards, left her home in the Driving Park area of Columbus, Ohio, around 7:30 pm for an evening with friends. Her husband and children remained home while the doting mother enjoyed some time out.

At 2:30 am, the following morning, Infhon’e left a friend’s house and headed home.

She never made it.

Her husband tried to reach his wife multiple times by cell phone with no answer and on December 12, 2020, he filed a missing persons report with the Columbus Police Department.

Investigators discovered video footage showing her green Chevrolet Avalanche pulling into a parking lot behind an apartment building in the 2000 block of Winslow Drive around 5:30 am on December 11, 2020, about 3 hours after Infhon’e left the home of her friend. About one hour after the vehicle pulled up, a heavy-set man can be seen exiting the truck and walking away.

On December 14, 2020, authorities discovered the body of Infhon’e Edwards in the trunk of her vehicle.

Her case remains unsolved.

Jasmine Tajuana Johnson- Case #3597

On December 13, 2020, 28-year-old Jasmine Johnson walked out of her home to get something from her vehicle when she was gunned down in front of 1851 Republic Avenue on the north side of Columbus, Ohio. The Columbus Police Department received ShotSpotter information at 6:11 am. Officers located Jasmine, suffering from a life-threatening gunshot wound and medics transported her to Riverside Methodist Hospital where she was pronounced deceased at 6:45 pm.

Witnesses told officers someone drove down Republic Avenue, firing shots.

No one has been charged with her senseless murder.

“We did everything together. It is like they left me alone...she was my friend, she was my daughter,” her mother, Sharon Hayes-Westbrook, told ABC 6.

KayKimia Marie Ruffin- Case #3551

On June 1, 2020, Columbus Police officers were dispatched to the 1900 block of Maryland Avenue about a shooting. There, they found 27-year-old KayKimia Ruffin suffering from a gunshot wound. KayKimia was transported to a nearby hospital where she was pronounced deceased at 7:55 pm.

Belva Ann Copeland- Case #3579

On September 9, 2020, Belva Copeland arrived at her apartment in the 1200 block of Marion Drive on the south side of Columbus, Ohio, with an unknown guest. According to witnesses, that person left her apartment the same evening. No one saw or heard from Belva afterward.

One month later, on October 14, 2020, the body of Belva Copeland was found inside her apartment.

The Franklin County Coroner discovered someone had stabbed her and ruled her death as a homicide

Olivia Maria Kurtz - Case #3629

Well-liked and widely loved, 16-year-old twin sister, Olivia Maria Kurtz, was a Fort Hayes Metropolitan Education Center student who had just been inducted into the Japanese National Honor Society.

On May 22, 2021, Olivia went to ride scooters in downtown Columbus, Ohio with her best friend. The pair were unaware there was an event in Bicentennial Park, located just a few blocks from Police Headquarters. That evening, officers received information about a shooting and found six victims suffering from gunshot wounds. They transported Olivia to Grant Medical Center, where she died from her injuries at 1:06 am on May 23, 2021.

Sade Payne- Case #3624

On April 8, 2021, a female called 911 at 5:21 am and stated there was a woman outside yelling and screaming. When officers from the Columbus Police Department arrived, they found 32-year-old Sade Payne suffering from a gunshot wound. They transported Sade to Riverside Methodist Hospital, where she died of her injuries.

“She was not the 54th homicide. She was a sister, she was a daughter, she was an entrepreneur. She was a leader, she graduated on the top of her class. She was much more than a number,” her friend, Ray Reggins, told ABC 6.

Her case remains unsolved.

Shaniqua Marcella Dawkins-Turner - Case# 3601

On January 11, 2021, a friend gave 29-year-old Shaniqua Marcella Turner a ride to 842 Leona Avenue. As Shaniqua walked up to the front door of the home, an unidentified assailant shoot her multiple times. Officers were called at 5:06 am and found Shaniqua in critical condition. They transported her to Grant Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead by physicians at 5:27 am.

Her case remains unsolved.

If you have any information on any of these unsolved homicides, please contact the Columbus Police Department homicide unit at 614- 645-4995 or Crime Stoppers at 614-461-8477 or

This is original content from NewsBreak’s Creator Program. Join today to publish and share your own content.

Comments / 2

Published by

The Vivid Faces of the Vanished tells the stories of missing and murdered minorities and real stories about everyday life situations. Readers are invited to submit tips on cases, suggest new and cold cases, and submit their real-life stories to share.

Columbus, OH

More from The Vivid Faces of the Vanished

Mystery of Charitable Doctor Vanished in Tijuana

Dr. Hugues Bellevue is a charitable oncologist. Dr. Bellevue lived at 1987 McCloud River Road in Chula Vista, but he owned a clinic in Mexico. On November 13, 2013, 59-year-old Dr. Bellvue vanished from his clinic, Saint Marc Hospital, in Playas de Tijuana, Mexico. Authorities believe he was driving his white 2001 Chevrolet Astro van with license plate number 4PHF788 to Chula Vista, California. When the Mexican police executed a search warrant at Dr. Bellvue's clinic, they discovered there was furniture missing. The furniture was found at a different location. The family of Dr. Bellevue hired private investigator Bill Garcia.“This furniture ended up with some blood splatter that was deemed to be his DNA. There was high-velocity blood splatter that was found in different areas of the room,” Bill Garcia told CBS 8. Investigators interviewed witnesses who said they heard gunshots on the night that Dr. Bellevue vanished. “Unfortunately, we believe he lost his life on the day he went missing,” Bill Garcia told CBS 8. “There's dozens and dozens, almost a hundred elements of evidence in this case, and a year and a half later it still hasn't seen a judge."Bill Garcia believes Dr. Bellvue was targeted for money by those familiar with his business."They saw Dr. Bellevue as a cash cow and thought they could go back and essentially extort him for money,” Bill Garcia told CBS 8. Dr. Hugues Bellevue is 5'11'' and weighed 165 pounds when he vanished. If you have any information, please contact the Chula Vista Police Department at 619-691-5151.

Read full story
Atlanta, GA

Where Is Darron? The Foster Child Who Never Came Home

Darron Glass lived with his foster mother, Fannie Mae Smith, at 2289 Memorial Drive Southeast in Atlanta, Georgia. Both of Darron's parents are deceased and he was a ward of the state. DeKalb County paid Fannie $3.29 per day for Darron, described by Fannie as a "typical 10-year-old boy who liked to eat, drink Kool-Aid, play records and make noise," she told reporters. On September 14, 1980, Darron planned to meet a local church group to ride to an Atlanta Braves baseball game on the church bus. According to Fannie, he never arrived home. Some reports state Darron was seen getting off the school bus at the corner of Glenwood Avenue SE and Second Ave SE in Atlanta. When Darron disappeared, Fannie put a trace on her phone but took it off because the trace cost $1 per month. One day, someone called with an emergency call from "Darron" but when Fannie answered, there was silence on the other end, and the call disconnected. The person never called back. Shortly after Darron vanished, Fannie began requesting money in exchange for interviews. Darron's case worker, Thomas Bailey, expressed concerns to his supervisor about Darron living in the Smith home. He felt the placement was "unsuitable" for Darron, but his concerns were ignored. On November 15, 1980, the day after Darron vanished, Thomas received a call from a woman who claimed to be his sister and wanted to adopt Darron. Thomas advised the caller that Darron was missing and the woman hung up and never called back. Darron Glass has never been found. Darron Glass was 4'9" and weighed 75 pounds when he vanished. If you have any information about his disappearance, please contact the Federal Bureau of Investigation at the Atlanta, Georgia Office at 404-679-9000.

Read full story
Nashville, TN

The Mystery of George Owens

My name is George Owens. I lived in Nashville, Tennessee with my wife, who I was married to for over 60 years. In the summer of 1985, my wife went to Ohio to visit and when she returned on July 22, 1985, I drove to pick her up from the bus station. I never arrived. My brother picked my wife up when she was unable to reach me. When she arrived home, I was gone, along with my car, a 1972 Dodge Dart. My wife reported me missing and people started calling in with sightings of me. I was sighted on Route 13, 80 miles away from Nashville, between 9:00 and 10:00 a.m., on July 22, 1985. This was the same day I was supposed to pick my wife up and hours afterward. I stopped at a service station in Santa Fe, Tennessee to have a flat tire repaired and I paid for the tire in cash. I asked the attendant for directions to Nolensville, Tennessee. The attendant misunderstood and gave me directions to Lobelville, Tennessee, which was in the opposite direction. I was seen at a store in Lobelville where I seemed disoriented and asked for my wife. I have never been seen or heard from again. On July 28, 1985, my 1972 Dodge Dart was found more than 100 miles from my home on a remote hilltop in Perry County, Tennessee. The keys were in the ignition, the driver's side window was open, the battery was dead, and my cane was propped against my car. It appeared as if I was trying to start a campfire. A witness said they saw a truck follow my car down the road where it was found and the truck came back out shortly after, but my vehicle never did. I have never been found. My precious wife of sixty years died in 1989 never knowing what happened to me. If you have any information about my disappearance, please contact the Perry County Sheriff's Department at 931-589-8803.

Read full story

Comments / 0