Columbus, OH

These Horrific Homicides Of Multiple Black Women Remained Unsolved In Columbus, Ohio: Part 1

The Vivid Faces of the Vanished
Yvonne Norris, Darlene Gervins, Jerri Glenn (top row), Paula Logan, Sheronda Norris, and Anita Lias (bottom row)Photo byChasing Destino and The Ohio Attorney General's Office

Marian Marie Menefee was my daughter’s grandmother. One day, on November 14, 1978, her two young sons were looking for their mother in their apartment at 536 Lilley Avenue in Columbus, Ohio. When they called for her with no response, the boys checked the basement, where their mother washed clothes. That’s where they found her lifeless 20-year-old body. Fourteen years later, another woman, Darlene Gervins, would be found strangled at the apartment building next to Miriam's.

45 years later, like so the homicides of countless black women in Columbus, her murder remains unsolved.

When she called the Columbus Police Department to inquire about the homicide of Marian Marie Menefee, the detective refused to provide her with any information, questioned her as if she were guilty of a crime, returned none of her phone calls and to this day has refused to call her back. Is this how the family members of cold case victims are being treated in every case? Why aren’t these cases being solved?

Marian Menefee is case #879. Like these other women who are victims of unsolved homicides in Columbus, Ohio, she was more than that. She was someone’s daughter and a mother, who never had the chance to meet her grandchildren.

The following homicide cases of black women in Columbus, Ohio are listed on the Ohio Attorney General’s website as unsolved:

Anita Lias -Case #861

On August 30, 1975, 16-year-old Anita Lias left her Columbus, Ohio, home to head to her babysitting job. When Anita didn't come home, her father contacted the Columbus Police Department the next day to report her missing.

They discovered Anita Lias' body in an alley two days later, on September 1, 1975. Someone found the teen girl in front of a garage at 862 South Champion Avenue. Someone strangled and stabbed Anita and bound her hands behind her back. Authorities reported there were no indications of sexual assault.

Who murdered Anita and why?

Those questions have remained a mystery since 1975. Both her parents, Moses and Alice, have passed away and her sister, Pamela, died in 2009 without ever knowing who murdered their beloved Anita.

Paula Logan - Case #940

On May 12, 1987, someone found the body of 23-year-old Paula Logan behind 1321 North 5th Street in the short north area of Columbus, Ohio. The young woman suffered multiple head injuries. Her homicide remains unsolved.

Yvonne Norris - Case #1337

On August 27, 1989, witnesses reported that Yvonne Norris returned to her apartment on 17th Avenue and Summit Avenue in Columbus, Ohio at 9:30 pm.

Between 9:30 pm and 2:27 am, something sinister occurred. The apartment Yvonne lived in with her children burst into flames. Two of her children escaped, but Yvonne remained trapped in the purposely set apartment fire at 1335 Summit Street, where she died. Authorities found Yvonne with her hands tied behind her back and someone had strangled the young mother.

They have named no suspects and filed no charges in this horrific homicide.

Chasing Destino remains an advocate for her case and continues to raise awareness about her senseless murder until justice is served for Yvonne and her family. You can read her story here:

I have spoken with Yvonne’s daughter, who looks just like her beautiful mother, and the family misses Yvonne and longs for answers in her case.

Sheronda Norris- Case #663

Sheronda Norris was seen on September 15, 1991, going to her aunt’s house on East 23rd Street in Columbus, Ohio. She never made it. On September 16, 1991, a passing motorist discovered her nude body around 5:00 pm lying on the side of Agler Road, just east of Sunbury Road. Authorities have never found her killer.

Darlene Gervins - Case #1457

On February 15, 1992, someone found the strangled body of 29-year-old Darlene Gervins at 546 Lilley Avenue on the southeast side of Columbus, Ohio. Ironically, she and Miriam Menefee, murdered in 1978 at 536 Lilley Avenue, were found at apartment buildings located next to one another.

Darchelle Stone - Case #1824

On September 27, 2008, 19-year-old Darchelle Stone was found deceased in her home at 5546 Labrador Lane. According to the Ohio Attorney General’s website, Darchelle died from autonomic dysfunction caused by stab wounds. Her brutal homicide remains unsolved.

Tiana Goins - Case #1798

On April 7, 2008, one of the first warm days of that spring, shots rang out in the 1500 block of Cordell Avenue on the north side of Columbus, Ohio. More than a dozen friends and family members were hanging out in the area. 18-year-old Tiana Goins was sitting on the hood of a parked vehicle. A white or tan Caprice pulled up and fired multiple shots into the group, fatally wounding Tiana, who was an early high school graduate of Ft. Hayes. Authorities have named no suspects in her case.

Jerri Monique Glenn - Case #2085

On March 20, 2015, 21-year-old Esak Gemeraw was shot and killed while riding in a minivan near a shopping mall authorities issued an arrest warrant for 18-year-old Ni’Shawn Glenn-Coulverson in connection with the homicide.

On April 22, 2015, around 6:45 am, someone shot and killed 34-year-old Jerri Monique Glenn, the mother of Ni’Shawn, in her vehicle in front of her Park Trails apartment on Winter Park Lane.

Neighbors called 911 and heard her children screaming.

“I asked them what happened, and they said their mom got shot,” neighbor Mohamed Sow said, Fox 28 reported. “I believe the person who shot at her was waiting for them to come out of the house.”

Authorities recovered the gun used in the homicide in a pond behind the leasing office of the apartments at 5555 Tinley Park. Witnesses reported seeing a man in all black with a black mask leaving the scene. Some believe her death was in retaliation for the homicide of Esak Germeraw. In March 2016, a jury convicted Ni’Shawn, and he was sentenced to life in prison for the murder of Esak.

Authorities have made no arrests in the homicide of Jerri Monique Glenn.

If you have any information on any of these unsolved homicides, please contact the Columbus Police Department homicide unit at 614- 645-4995 or Crime Stoppers at 614-461-8477 or

This is original content from NewsBreak’s Creator Program. Join today to publish and share your own content.

Comments / 0

Published by

The Vivid Faces of the Vanished tells the stories of missing and murdered minorities and real stories about everyday life situations. Readers are invited to submit tips on cases, suggest new and cold cases, and submit their real-life stories to share.

Columbus, OH

More from The Vivid Faces of the Vanished

Mystery of Charitable Doctor Vanished in Tijuana

Dr. Hugues Bellevue is a charitable oncologist. Dr. Bellevue lived at 1987 McCloud River Road in Chula Vista, but he owned a clinic in Mexico. On November 13, 2013, 59-year-old Dr. Bellvue vanished from his clinic, Saint Marc Hospital, in Playas de Tijuana, Mexico. Authorities believe he was driving his white 2001 Chevrolet Astro van with license plate number 4PHF788 to Chula Vista, California. When the Mexican police executed a search warrant at Dr. Bellvue's clinic, they discovered there was furniture missing. The furniture was found at a different location. The family of Dr. Bellevue hired private investigator Bill Garcia.“This furniture ended up with some blood splatter that was deemed to be his DNA. There was high-velocity blood splatter that was found in different areas of the room,” Bill Garcia told CBS 8. Investigators interviewed witnesses who said they heard gunshots on the night that Dr. Bellevue vanished. “Unfortunately, we believe he lost his life on the day he went missing,” Bill Garcia told CBS 8. “There's dozens and dozens, almost a hundred elements of evidence in this case, and a year and a half later it still hasn't seen a judge."Bill Garcia believes Dr. Bellvue was targeted for money by those familiar with his business."They saw Dr. Bellevue as a cash cow and thought they could go back and essentially extort him for money,” Bill Garcia told CBS 8. Dr. Hugues Bellevue is 5'11'' and weighed 165 pounds when he vanished. If you have any information, please contact the Chula Vista Police Department at 619-691-5151.

Read full story
Atlanta, GA

Where Is Darron? The Foster Child Who Never Came Home

Darron Glass lived with his foster mother, Fannie Mae Smith, at 2289 Memorial Drive Southeast in Atlanta, Georgia. Both of Darron's parents are deceased and he was a ward of the state. DeKalb County paid Fannie $3.29 per day for Darron, described by Fannie as a "typical 10-year-old boy who liked to eat, drink Kool-Aid, play records and make noise," she told reporters. On September 14, 1980, Darron planned to meet a local church group to ride to an Atlanta Braves baseball game on the church bus. According to Fannie, he never arrived home. Some reports state Darron was seen getting off the school bus at the corner of Glenwood Avenue SE and Second Ave SE in Atlanta. When Darron disappeared, Fannie put a trace on her phone but took it off because the trace cost $1 per month. One day, someone called with an emergency call from "Darron" but when Fannie answered, there was silence on the other end, and the call disconnected. The person never called back. Shortly after Darron vanished, Fannie began requesting money in exchange for interviews. Darron's case worker, Thomas Bailey, expressed concerns to his supervisor about Darron living in the Smith home. He felt the placement was "unsuitable" for Darron, but his concerns were ignored. On November 15, 1980, the day after Darron vanished, Thomas received a call from a woman who claimed to be his sister and wanted to adopt Darron. Thomas advised the caller that Darron was missing and the woman hung up and never called back. Darron Glass has never been found. Darron Glass was 4'9" and weighed 75 pounds when he vanished. If you have any information about his disappearance, please contact the Federal Bureau of Investigation at the Atlanta, Georgia Office at 404-679-9000.

Read full story
Nashville, TN

The Mystery of George Owens

My name is George Owens. I lived in Nashville, Tennessee with my wife, who I was married to for over 60 years. In the summer of 1985, my wife went to Ohio to visit and when she returned on July 22, 1985, I drove to pick her up from the bus station. I never arrived. My brother picked my wife up when she was unable to reach me. When she arrived home, I was gone, along with my car, a 1972 Dodge Dart. My wife reported me missing and people started calling in with sightings of me. I was sighted on Route 13, 80 miles away from Nashville, between 9:00 and 10:00 a.m., on July 22, 1985. This was the same day I was supposed to pick my wife up and hours afterward. I stopped at a service station in Santa Fe, Tennessee to have a flat tire repaired and I paid for the tire in cash. I asked the attendant for directions to Nolensville, Tennessee. The attendant misunderstood and gave me directions to Lobelville, Tennessee, which was in the opposite direction. I was seen at a store in Lobelville where I seemed disoriented and asked for my wife. I have never been seen or heard from again. On July 28, 1985, my 1972 Dodge Dart was found more than 100 miles from my home on a remote hilltop in Perry County, Tennessee. The keys were in the ignition, the driver's side window was open, the battery was dead, and my cane was propped against my car. It appeared as if I was trying to start a campfire. A witness said they saw a truck follow my car down the road where it was found and the truck came back out shortly after, but my vehicle never did. I have never been found. My precious wife of sixty years died in 1989 never knowing what happened to me. If you have any information about my disappearance, please contact the Perry County Sheriff's Department at 931-589-8803.

Read full story

Comments / 0