Philadelphia, PA

Mom & Son Disappear. Son Found Weeks Later. Mom Still Missing

The Vivid Faces of the Vanished
Amaru MuhammedBite Sized Crime

Aesha Muhammed was a 23-year old loving, doting young mother. Aesha came from a close-knit family, with who she was in continuous contact, according to her family members.

She was working at a salon and attending Venus Beauty Academy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Her 2-year old son, Amaru, was the love of her life, the Charley Project reports.

Aesha lived in a boarding house run by her father's half-brother, then 57-year old Charles Dockins. Aesha and Charles didn't get along and often argued, according to the Charley Project.

On November 30, 2000, Aesha packed her things to move out and called her brother, Soloman. Aesha said she wanted someone to pick them up because she had been arguing with Charles. Soloman called their sister, Wakhita, to pick up Aesha. Wakhita then called her sister several times, but all of Wakhita's calls to Aesha went unanswered, according to the Charley Project.

No one could locate Aesha or Amaru.

The siblings called their father, David, who immediately flew from Atlanta to Philadelphia. The family went to the boarding house.

The Philadelphia Daily News reported everything in Aesha's room was gone except a dresser, a bed, and a single sheet.

Her uncle told the family Aesha packed up and moved out on her own.

According to the Philadelphia Daily News, weeks later, sometime in December of 2000, the people at Liberty Church in New Jersey heard loud banging at the doors of the church. When they opened the doors, there stood 2-year old Amaru. He was afraid, but healthy, and had urinated on himself.

Whoever knocked on the door, was gone.

The church members couldn't get any information from Amaru other than his name.

After some days, he was reunited with his family.

And he had a story to tell.

Amaru said, "they were fighting. Mommy was bleeding...Mommy got hit with a rock. He punched Mommy in the face and she was bleeding. I was fighting him and Mommy was fighting him," according to authorities.

They advised the child gave a name, but that name has never been publicly released.

Charles Dockins reportedly gave various stories to police, according to authorities. He never showed for a scheduled polygraph and was eventually placed in prison for a parole violation in 2001.

Aesha has never been found.

Aesha was 5'8" - 5'9" and weighed 135 pounds when she vanished.

Please contact Philadelphia PD with any info at 215-686-3184.
Aesha MuhammedBite Sized Crime

Comments / 43

Published by

The Vivid Faces of the Vanished tells the stories of missing and murdered minorities.

Columbus, OH

More from The Vivid Faces of the Vanished

Comments / 0