Miami is one of the hottest vacation spots in the country. What most people don’t realize is that there’s a lot more to this unique city than parties, sunshine and bikinis.In keeping with the fun theme some of them will surprise you.
1. The city of Miami gets its name from one of the native tribes that lived in the region in the 1600 and 1700s, the Mayaimi (big water).
2. It is the only US city that was found by a woman, the American businesswoman Julia Tuttle.
3. The predecessor to the fast-food chain was founded in Jacksonville as Insta Burger King, but was later purchased by Miami-based franchises James McLamore and David R. Edgerton, who renamed it Burger King. The first Burger King location opened in Miami, 1954.
4. Snow has only been recorded once in Miami in 200 years. It was on the 19th of January 1977.
5. The Cuban Sandwich as we know it in the United-States was invented in Florida. It was confirmed by historians that it was invented in Ybor City (Tampa) but yet Miamians have always argued this fact.
6. Because of erosion, Miami Beach is slowly losing its beaches. Because of that, the city imports thousands of tons of sand.
7. The first version of the sunscreen was invented during WWII by a Miami Beach resident, Benjamin Green, who wanted to keep his friends and himself protected from sunburns.
8. The art deco nightclub district in South Beach is regarded as one of the best in the world.
Miami is a whole world on its own! Have your say - Leave a comment below.