King’s Ridge development to provide more affordable housing
By Mia Khatib
mia.khatib@triangletribune.com
RALEIGH — Affordable housing developer CASA is less than a year out from completing its largest affordable housing project yet. Community members gathered at the King’s Ridge construction site last week for a beam signing ceremony and site tours.
The 6-acre apartment complex will include 100 units for Wake County families and individuals earning 30% of the area median income or less. CASA CEO Everett McElveen said, in an effort to directly reduce the community’s unsheltered population, at least half of the units are reserved for people experiencing homelessness.
“National researchers have shown that homelessness is sort of driven by the lack of affordable housing,” he said. “Last year, 2022, there was over 1,500 people that were counted in the point-in-time count for Wake County. That is the highest it has ever been since… 2007.”
More than $26 million was raised for the building’s construction through a capital campaign that launched in 2020, and campaign chair Molly Painter said 360 donors contributed. CASA is now fundraising for a Sustainability Endowment to ensure the site’s operations for years to come.
“Just last week, my friend Rebecca, who has been in and out of homelessness for about 10 years, told me that she believes she will be permanently housed soon,” Painter said. “At King’s Ridge, Rebecca, or someone like her, will be able to move in to this… apartment community with a gym for her treadmill walks, a nurse on staff who will know her and recognize her medical needs, case managers who can glean what she might need to heal from years of sleeping on the street.”
The property at 200 Michael J. Smith Lane will also include a game room, offices, more support services, and a laundry room and community gathering space on every floor. A public bus stop is across the street from the main entrance.
Volunteer Barrett Brewer said the one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments range from approximately 500 square feet to 1,100 square feet and all come fully furnished. Bed sizes can be catered to family needs.
The grand opening is set for next August with a staggered move-in beginning in September. McElveen told The Tribune residents mostly will be chosen through referrals from community partners that work with unsheltered populations, but more details on leasing opportunities are still to come.
“We have a pipeline of not new developments, we have a pipeline of potentially homeless people that is living in this area right now, and so we need more of this effort,” McElveen said. “King’s Ridge is a possible solution; it is part of the solution to homelessness.”
Mia Khatib, who covers affordable housing and gentrification, is a Report for America corps member.
Comments / 1
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
The Triangle Tribune
Durham native named executive chef at 21C Museum
DURHAM – 21c Museum Hotel Durham and the Counting House Restaurant have appointed Melanie Wilkerson as executive chef. The Durham native’s return is more than a career milestone, it’s a homecoming that honors the rich legacy of the community that first nurtured her.
The Vivid Faces of the Vanished
Discharged and Disappeared: They Walked Out of Detroit Hospitals and Were Never Seen Again
Three people, three separate cases, and one eerie pattern: all three were treated at hospitals in Detroit, discharged, and never made it home. What happened after they walked out the doors? How does someone vanish after being released from a hospital?
Dianna Carney
The HD Post
Reward for up to $20,000 for information about decapitated sea lion at Doran Beach
CALIFORNIA – The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) announced on March 11 it is offering a $20,000 reward for tips leading to a penalty or conviction in the case of a decapitated California sea lion.
David Heitz
Tiny home village for homeless at Stay Inn: Denver spends $1.5 million
The Denver City Council voted Monday to spend $1.5 million with Bayaud Enterprises to manage the Stay Inn tiny home village in District 8. The contract spans through December 2025. Requirements in the contract for the site at 12033 E. 38th Ave. include:
David Heitz
TRENDING SEARCH
- Cubs Prospect Near MLB Debut
- Nicolas Cage's Son Sentenced for Attack
- Siblings Starve Brother, Delay Report
- Judge Halts Billions in Health Cuts
- Ludacris Stirs Controversy on SVU
- Legendary WR Retires from NFL
- Cruise Halted: Gang Attacks Tourists
- Racist Comment Sparks Capitol Drama
- Reba McEntire Leaves Rex Linn
- Tourist Visits Forbidden Andaman Tribe
Comments /