Hey foodies! In case you haven’t heard, June 7th to June 18 is Las Vegas Restaurant Week. Each spring, Vegas restaurants join together to support a local charity called Three Square, whose mission is to feed those in need in the Southern Nevada area. Since 2007, local restaurants have offered a special three-course prix fixe menu during restaurant week. Some of the proceeds from these special lunch and dinner menus are donated directly to Three Square.
In this issue of TheFoodieMaps, we will look at some of the three-course prix fixe menus. The list of participating restaurants this year is HUGE. We might even follow up with a part 2! You can of course find the full list on Three Square’s Website.
Let’s get to it!
On the Strip
Mexican at Mandalay Bay
🇲🇽 Chicken Poblano Enchiladas
📍 Border Grill - Mandalay Bay
In 1985, Chef/Owners Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken were among the first to combine regional Mexican home cooking with California ingredients. Their restaurants can best be described as the intersection of California flavors and traditional Mexican cuisine. Sustainability has also been front and center for the owners and is built into their menu, especially in regards to seafood. In addition to making extremely photogenic food, the owners hosted Food Network’s “Too Hot Tamales” in the late 90s and early 2000s.
For restaurant week, Border Grill Mandalay Bay is offering a $30 lunch menu
- Green Corn Tamales sweet corn | sour cream | salsa fresca
- Baja Ceviche Tostada lime-marinated sustainable seasonal shrimp | jalapeño | red onion | tomato | cilantro aioli
- Tortilla Soup roasted tomato broth | panela cheese | avocado | cilantro | hand-pressed lime juice
- Plantain Empanadas roasted plantains | organic black beans | poblano | Mexican cheeses | chipotle aioli
- Grilled Skirt Steak frisee salad | flour tortilla | roasted sea salt jalapeño | chimichurri | tomato-cucumber salad
- Chicken Poblano Enchiladas roasted chicken | Mexican cheeses | poblano chiles | grilled corn | mushrooms | poblano crema
- Carne Asada Tacos grilled marinated steak | avocado balm | onions | cilantro
- Carnitas Tacos braised pork | chipotle salsa | avocado balm | cilantro | onions
- Vanilla Flan
- Tres Leches Cake
A Weird Name, but a Feel-Good Story
🥩 Steak and More!
📍 Ruth’s Chris Steak House - Harrah’s
You’ve likely heard of Ruth’s Chris Steak House before. They have locations in over 21 countries and that of course means they have a spot here in Las Vegas. Ruth’s has a wide collection of steaks, ranging from 8oz fillets all the way to 40oz tomahawk steaks. Being from New Orleans, they also offer seasonal seafood, most known for their lobster bisque and also having one hell of a seafood tower.
One thing that I kept wondering was “Why is it ‘Ruth’s Chris Steak House’?” Doesn’t quite flow well when you say it out loud, but turns out there is a great story behind the odd name. In 1965, the owner Ruth initially entered the restaurant industry by purchasing a little spot named “Chris’s Steak House.” About 10 years later, the restaurant sadly burnt down and Ruth was forced to relocate. Due to legal reasons, she was unable to open a new restaurant with the same name, so she creatively added “Ruth’s” to the front so regular customers would still recognize the restaurant! The name stuck and today you can find a “Ruth’s Chris Steak House” in most major cities.
For restaurant week, Ruth’s is offering an $80 dinner menu.
- Steak House Salad Iceberg, baby arugula, baby lettuces, grape tomatoes, garlic croutons & red onions
- Caesar Salad Fresh romaine hearts, Romano cheese, creamy Caesar dressing, shaved parmesan & fresh ground black pepper
- Lobster Bisque
- Chilean Sea Bass Pan roasted, citrus-coconut butter, sweet potato & pineapple hash
- Blackened Scallops Cheesy polenta, 4 u10 scallops
- Petite Filet (Make Oscar Style for $22) Equally tender 8oz filet
- Baked Potato (Side)
- Fire Roasted Corn (Side)
- Grilled Asparagus (Side)
Enjoying The Foodie Maps? Subscribe for weekly food content!
Henderson and Summerlin
Local Vegas restaurants are also contributing to restaurant week. Here are a few from Henderson and Summerlin. #VegasStrong
Sushi in Summerlin
🐟 Diver Sea Scallops
📍 JING - Summerlin
A Colorado favorite, JING has established itself as a high-end option for global fusion. By combining seafood and steak, JING has created a variety of Asian-inspired surf and turf cuisines. Some of their standouts include house-made dim sum, king crab tempura, Hamachi sashimi, and wagyu hot rock. Their first expansion out of Colorado has been to Downtown Summerlin!
Sample both their land and sea options with a $60 3-course dinner menu
- Yellowtail Serrano (4 Pcs) Kataifi, cilantro, grapefruit, sudachi-soy
- Chicken Cups (3 Pcs) Butter lettuce, chicken, carrot, onion
- Rock Shrimp Tempura
- Diver Sea Scallops (2pcs) Forbidden black rice, tomato, Thai curry
- Sesame Chicken Crispy wok-tossed, peppers, sweet sesame glaze scallions, red onion, sweet soy glaze
- Black Pepper Beef Tenderloin Scallions, red onion, spice soy glaze
- Italian Tiramisu Valrhona Chocolate, Espresso
- New York Cheesecake Fresh raspberry, vanilla bean
Endless App’s and Meat?
📍 Rodizio Grill - Henderson
Rodizio Grill is a Brazillian Steakhouse at the Galleria at Sunset. If you have never been to a Brazilian Steakhouse before, I highly recommend checking it out. Especially if you like meat! Here is a full list of all the bbq they offer.
Rodízio-Style Restaurant: A Brazilian type of restaurant that serves unlimited meat for a fixed price. In the US, these restaurants are commonly known as “Brazilian Steakhouses.” Part of the experience is the peculiar way that the waiters bring your food. Instead of traditional ordering from a menu, the waiters and waitresses bring skewers of different meats directly to your table. It’s a never-ending cycle of meat!
For restaurant week. Rodizio Grill in Henderson is offering a special $50 price for endless app’s, soup, salad, and of course, meat! And it comes with a house drink.
- Appetizer Unlimited Brazilian Cheese Bread and Fried Bananas
- Full Rodizio Unlimited Grilled Meats and Visits to Our Hot and Cold Salad Bar
- Dessert Choice of 1 House Desert
Downtown Las Vegas
Brewery and pizza your thing? Then definitely check out the participating restaurants in Downtown! There is a wide variety in the Arts District and on Fremont Street.
5-Glass Flight and Charcuterie?
📍 Craft Haus - Arts District (& Henderson)
Craft Haus is a local brewery that actually started in Henderson. They recently expanded to the Arts District and are located right off of Main Street. One of the owners, David, was a long time home-brewer and sought to use his craft brewing to bring together and build up the Las Vegas community. Both the owners are also UNLV grads, making Craft Haus a truly community-driven business.
For $30, you can have quite the Brewery experience:
- 5 Glass Tasting Flight Your choice of five beers
- Cheese and Charcuterie Plate Choice of cheese and cured meats
- 8oz ChillHaus Frozen Beer Slushie
Thanks for reading this week’s issue of The Foodie Maps Las Vegas!