A self-assessment for mental health and wellness
How are you really doing?
When was the last time you checked on yourself?
A few years ago, I took a wellness workshop based on SAMHSA’s Eight Dimensions of Wellness Wheel and it was life-changing. It had a self-assessment that asked us to write down what we were doing to maintain wellness in each category and if we weren’t we had to write an action step.
Here are a few of my action steps:
Emotional — Focuses on healthy relationships
- I make a point to check in on close family and friends once a week
- I reconnected with old friends and will try to contact them once a quarter
Financial — Income and financial goals
- I’m working on a system to better organize my bills and expenses.
- Buy a house or condo
Social — Relationships and support system
- I’m connecting more with others and expanding my circle of friends and associates through old and new channels
Spiritual — Sense of purpose and meaning of life
- Including prayer and meditation in my daily practice
- Centering my spirit in love, compassion, and forgiveness
Occupational — Satisfaction, and fulfillment from work
- Intentionally and strategically pursuing my writing career
Physical — Taking care of your physical body
- Meditate and stretch every morning
- Easing back into daily exercise
- Shifting to a plant-based diet and smaller, more frequent meals
Intellectual — Creativity and expanding knowledge
- Reading more and joined a book club
- Researching more about Covid, plant-based diets, and technology
Environmental — Occupying pleasant, stimulating environments
- Redecorating my space for comfort
- Creating designated areas for work and social time
Taking this assessment and making the decision to be more intentional in every aspect of my life has really helped me cope with things I can’t control.
I try to be present in every moment and honest with myself and others about what I can do, my limits, and set boundaries.
I hope you found this helpful. Thank you for reading.
#wellness #mentalhealth #selfcare
Substance abuse and mental health services administration. SAMHSA. (n.d.). Retrieved January 24, 2022, from https://www.samhsa.gov/
© 2022 T. Price All rights reserved - Originally published on Medium.com