PLYMOUTH, MN —– Crimes can happen anywhere and at any time of the year. However, when the weather warms up or during the summer months, some reported crimes tend to increase, including items stolen from vehicles and homes.
The majority of reported robberies in Plymouth were not carried out by force, which means burglars take advantage of homes that are not equipped with an adequate security system.
In some cases, thieves use garage door openers from unlocked cars to gain access to people's homes.
By practicing good safety habits and always locking yourself in, homeowners can reduce the chances of this crime occurring.
In a recent episode of Along for the Ride that people can watch on YouTube, the Plymouth Police Department offers safety tips to prevent crime from happening in the summer. Here are some tips people can apply:
- Park cars the car in a well-locked garage whenever possible
- Keep the garage door openers out of sight of anyone in a locked car
- If homeowners must park cars in a driveway, make sure the car doors are locked and remove all valuables from the vehicles
- While away, make homes look busy by using light timers
- Report any suspicious behavior detected around homes
- Consider using an alarm system or surveillance cameras to keep homes safe
- Use locks on windows and secure every sliding door
- Use high-quality deadbolt locks on garage service doors and entrances
- Increase the use of exterior lighting around homes to give an impression that the homeowners are not travelling
This is original content from NewsBreak’s Creator Program. Join today to publish and share your own content.