Eating a Slug Gave This Teen Instant Permanent Brain Damage


It was a night like any other for Sam Ballard, a promising 19-year-old rugby player from Sydney, Australia. Surrounded by friends and laughter, a garden slug was innocently making its way across the patio. With a mix of bravado and perhaps a touch of wine-induced courage, Sam accepted the challenge to eat the slug. But this seemingly harmless act would forever alter the course of his life.

In various cultures, consuming snails, or escargot, is a delicacy. So, what harm could a tiny slug do? But soon after, Sam's life took a harrowing turn. He began to experience severe leg pain, fatigue, and his body started to shut down.

The diagnosis was both shocking and rare: rat lungworm disease, caused by a parasitic roundworm. This disease, primarily found in rats, can be transmitted to snails and slugs that come into contact with the rat's feces.

When consumed by humans, it can lead to eosinophilic meningitis, which, although rare, is a condition that can cause permanent brain damage or even death if the worm manages to travel into and infect the brain.

Sam's ordeal was heart-wrenching. After falling into a coma, he awoke 420 days later, paralyzed and with significant brain damage. The once robust athlete now required round-the-clock care. Tragically, after eight years of battling the condition, Sam passed away.

But Sam's story isn't unique. Another teenager, Liam McGuigan, faced a similar fate after accepting a dare to eat a slug. Like Sam, Liam fell into a coma but miraculously recovered, albeit with lasting effects.

These incidents serve as a stark reminder of the unseen dangers lurking in our environment. The rat lungworm disease, while rare, is prevalent in parts of Asia, the Pacific Islands, the Caribbean, Africa, and even Hawaii. The disease's symptoms can range from headaches and light sensitivity to more severe manifestations like paralysis, coma, brain damage, and death.

So, what can one do to prevent such a fate? Avoid consuming raw or undercooked creatures (e.g., snails, slugs, and even shrimps and crabs) that might carry the roundworm. Wash fruits and vegetables meticulously, especially leafy greens, which might have come into contact with infected snails. And if you're traveling to areas where the parasite is common, steer clear of uncooked vegetables.

So, the next time you encounter a harmless-looking slug or snail, remember the hidden dangers they might carry and think twice before taking a dare.

This is original content from NewsBreak’s Creator Program. Join today to publish and share your own content.

Comments / 89

Published by

MSc (Research) | Named Standford's world's top 1% scientists | Independent scientist | 10x first-author academic papers | 400+ articles on coronavirus


More from Shin

Comments / 0