Woman Nearly Died From Brain Damage After Devouring A Gallon of Pickles

Photo byfreepik.com

In the age of viral challenges and mukbangs, where individuals indulge in excessive amounts of food for entertainment, the dangers lurking behind seemingly harmless acts can be easily overlooked.

One such tale revolves BT, a 33-year-old mukbang enthusiast, who embarked on a journey to entertain her audience by consuming a gallon of pickles. As she relished the tangy crunch of each pickle, she enthusiastically shared the supposed health benefits of her meal. From being a rich source of probiotics to its low-calorie content, BT was convinced she was indulging in a nutritious feast.

Little did she know, the real story was far from this rosy picture.

Shortly after her pickle marathon, BT began to experience severe abdominal discomfort. Her body retaliated against the sudden influx of sodium, leading to intense bloating and multiple trips to the bathroom. As the hours passed, her condition deteriorated rapidly. She experienced a splitting headache, slurred speech, and eventually lost consciousness.

Upon arriving at the emergency room, doctors were puzzled by her symptoms. The distinct smell of pickles and a blood test soon revealed the culprit: acute hypernatremia, a condition characterized by abnormally high sodium levels in the blood. Consuming the gallon of pickles had introduced a lethal amount of sodium into BT's system, equivalent to ingesting 78 grams of table salt.

But why was this excessive sodium intake so detrimental? The human body operates on a delicate balance. Sodium, an essential electrolyte, plays a crucial role in maintaining this balance. However, when consumed in excessive amounts, it can wreak havoc. In BT's case, the high sodium content in her blood began drawing water from her organs, including her brain. This led to her brain shrinking, causing blood vessels to tear and resulting in a seizure.

The medical team faced a dilemma. While it was imperative to dilute the sodium concentration in her blood by administering fluids, they had to tread carefully. A rapid correction could cause the brain to swell, leading to further complications.

As the hours ticked by, BT's condition remained precarious. Her blood pressure plummeted, and her kidneys began to fail. However, with timely medical intervention and careful monitoring, she gradually regained consciousness and was on the path to recovery.

BT's harrowing experience serves as a stark reminder of the dangers of extreme eating challenges. While it might be tempting to partake in viral trends for a few moments of fame, the potential risks are simply not worth it. It's essential to be aware of what we put into our bodies and understand the potential consequences.

This is original content from NewsBreak’s Creator Program. Join today to publish and share your own content.

Comments / 1029

Published by

MSc (Research) | Named Standford's world's top 1% scientists | Independent scientist | 10x first-author academic papers | 400+ articles on coronavirus


More from Shin

Comments / 0