Looking for the best things to do today, this weekend, or during your trip to Virginia Beach this summer? Summer is the most fun time of year to visit Virginia Beach, and there are so many events and activities to take part in!
There’s no shortage of reasons we love Virginia Beach, and you’ll see why when you search for fun around Hampton Roads. Here are the best things you can do around Virginia Beach over the next few months.
Fun Things for Kids to Do in Virginia Beach
- Watch a Movie on the Beach Take part in the Beach Blanket Movie Series - a free outdoor cinema experience! On Thursday nights, stake your claim on a patch of sand with your blankets and beach chairs for a family-friendly flick.
- Do Downward Dog with a Goat (June 26, 2022) You heard us correctly. Head over to Back Bay Farmhouse Brewing Company to get your namaste on alongside adorable baby goats. A great way to make family exercise even more fun!
- Send Them to Nature Quest Summer Camp (July: see dates on website) Designed with the nature-loving kid in mind, this elementary-teacher-run day camp will nurture your child’s curiosity and creativity as they take part in all sorts of outdoor activities, challenges, and art projects.
- Teach Them the Fun Side of Finances at Camp Millionaire (July 18-22, 2022) Rising 7th and 8th graders are sure to have a blast at Camp Millionaire, a week full of games, activities, and exciting group projects that give kids a foundation of fiscal responsibility.
- Create and Explore Together at Virginia MOCA (August 7, 2022) Family Fest is back at the Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art. Artmaking, gallery activities, and 3D printing will be highlights of this year’s festival!
- Master the Waves at Surf Camp Help your kids make the most of their time at the Atlantic Ocean with WRV Surf Camp! Choose from 5-day or 3-day options where a professional surfer will help kids ride the waves in a safe, fun, and rewarding way.
- Become a Junior Golfer The TopGolf Summer Academy offers five days of fun as kids ages 6-12 are taught all the components of a great game of golf.
- Complete the ViBe District Art Scavenger Hunt Enjoy the brilliant spring weather by touring the art of the ViBe districted via a curated scavenger hunt! This printable walkthrough tells you where to walk to see some of the local sculptures, paintings, and history.
- Find Out Whodunnit with You Sleuth! Unleash your inner detective with You Sleuth’s augmented reality mystery-solving game! It’s like a mix between Clue and Pokemon Go!, where you and your smartphone are on the case.
- Challenge Yourself at the Adventure Park Master the treetop trails and ziplines at the Adventure Park located at the Virginia Aquarium. There are many trails with different difficulty levels, so everyone from beginner to expert will have a great time!
Things to Do at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront and Boardwalk
- Have Fun at Live! On Atlantic Formerly known as BeachStreetUSA, this evening program fills the sidewalks of Atlantic Avenue with all sorts of free entertainment: jugglers, circuses, musicians, magicians, and so much more.
- Roam the Virginia Legends Walk Dig into the history of Virginia’s most famous residents (past and present) as you stroll along the Virginia Legends Walk at 13th Street at the Oceanfront. From presidents and military heroes to accomplished athletes and writers, these legends are sure to boost your VA pride.
- Challenge Yourself with Puzzling Adventures Gamify your walk along the boardwalk by taking part in Puzzling Adventures™! Your mobile device will tell you where to go to complete trivia and puzzles while enjoying the beautiful scenery at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront.
- Grab a Seat at the Oceanfront Concert Series Sing along to the tunes of nationally-recognized recording artists at the FREE concerts held throughout June at the oceanfront. It’s a great way to end a day at the beach.
- Get the Full Latin Experience with “La Fiesta” (June 24-25, 2022) La Fiesta Virginia Beach brings the food, cultural dress, and music of Latin culture to life at the Oceanfront. The 24th Street stage will welcome Latin Grammy Award nominees and winners on both nights!
- Have a Barrel of Laughs at Peabody’s (June 26, 2022) Make sure your Bloody Mary doesn’t come out your nose as you laugh it up at Peabody’s Comedy Brunch! Enjoy a great brunch menu and some excellent local and national comedic talent.
- Get Funky on the Beach (August 26-27, 2022) Funk Fest is back and better than ever with a new spot right on the beach! Take in the electrifying music of this favorite festival in August.
- Taste Perfection at Pocahontas Pancakes Named the “Best Pancake House in Virginia Beach” by Food Network, a trip to Pocahontas Pancake House is an iconic Virginia Beach experience. From their thick-cut bacon to their fluffy pancakes with pure maple syrup, you’ll never forget this breakfast.
- Play Laser Tag and Arcade Games at Flipper McCoys Perfect for a rainy day or to refresh everyone in the air conditioning, a trip to Flipper McCoys Family Entertainment Center is a guaranteed good time! Book a round of laser tag or enjoy retro arcade games, skeeball, pool, and more.
- Savor the Swells at Neptune’s Surfing Classic (September, TBD) It’s a surfing showdown in Virginia Beach! Watch surfers of all ages compete for prizes and the joy of claiming a great wave.
Romantic Things to Do for Couples
- Cook Together with Produce from the Shore Drive Farmer’s Market Get your romantic Saturday started early with a trip to the farmer’s market on Shore Drive! It’s the perfect place to grab some pastries and fresh produce to cook up a delectable brunch together.
- Indulge in Sunday Brunch at Waterman’s If cooking at home isn’t your style, hit up one of the many great brunch spots in Virginia Beach. Waterman’s Surfside Grille is a local favorite, with outdoor seating overlooking the ocean and fresh local seafood dominating the menu.
- Have a Fiesta at Taco & Margarita Fest at Elevation 27 (July 17, 2022) Really, we can’t think of anything more romantic than tacos! Enjoy good music, good food, and great margaritas at Elevation 27.
- Swap Brews at the Coastal Craft Beer Festival (August 27, 2022) Do you and your SO love a good brew? Then the Coastal Craft Beer Festival is the perfect date! Featuring over 60 beers from 30 different breweries, it’s going to be a slice of heaven for all craft beer lovers.
- Share a Kiss in the Cape Henry Lighthouse Take a trip down to Fort Story to climb the old Cape Henry Lighthouse, where you can reenact the romantic kiss of Arie and Lauren from Season 22 of The Bachelor. At the top, you’ll enjoy a 360°-view of the ocean and Virginia Beach in the lantern room.
- Make it a Date at Beachside Social Can’t decide what to do tonight, but know you want to have some laughs together? Head over to Beachside Social, where you can get a memorable date with low effort by taking advantage of their excellent menu, bocce ball and shuffleboard courts, or even a board game!
- Dance the Night Away at Neptune’s Seniors Gala (September 7, 2022) For lovers ages 62 and up! Neptune’s Seniors Gala will be a night of big band favorites and a delicious buffet for seniors at the Virginia Beach Convention Center.
- Have a Picnic at First Landing Stroll hand-in-hand along the nine beautiful trails around First Landing State Park until you find the perfect spot to open your picnic basket and enjoy some beautiful summer weather together.
- Taste Seasonal Wines at the VB Winery The Virginia Beach Winery offers special wine tastings each day, as well as special event nights each month. Find a fun opportunity to sample some of the best wine around!
Things to Do at Night in Virginia Beach
- Guffaw with Jamie Kennedy (June 26, 2022) Get ready to laugh until you drop at Jamie Kennedy’s “Up Close and Personal” Comedy Night at The Gala 417. Enjoy a night of food, drinks, and ROTFL.
- Master Pub Trivia at Murphy’s Irish Pub Spend your Tuesday night playing pub trivia at Murphy’s while enjoying a half-price burger! Teams and solo players are welcome, and you might just win a prize or a spot on the Champions Trophy.
- Sing Along to Your Old Favorites at Totally Tribute Music Fest (July 1-3, 2022) Formerly known as Sandstock, this series of concerts will bring the music of your favorite bands and artists through some of the best tribute performers from across the country. This year features the music of The Beatles, Journey, Prince, and more.
- Celebrate Independence Day with some Beachside Fireworks (July 4, 2022) The Stars and Stripes Celebration at the Oceanfront is back this year, with live entertainment and fireworks viewable from several of the parks along Atlantic Avenue. Free and open to the public!
- Hit the Dance Floor at Omega Bar Known for its tapas, drinks, and energetic Latin dancing, Omega Bar is a great place to boogie down during your visit to Virginia Beach. Every Friday and Saturday night are officially “Latin Nights!”
- Take the Stage at Open Mic Night Itching to show off what your pipes can do? Tuesday nights at Barbeque by Froggies on Shore Drive are Open Mic Nights hosted by Fred Karam. Bring your talent and enjoy some of the best barbeque in town.
- Experience a Poetry Reading at the MOCA (July 7, 2022) For a more subdued evening, attend Water Will Not Make Tears for Water, readings of poems written in response to the Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art’s recent exhibit “Maya Lin: A Study of Water.” Poems will be read by the 2020-2022 Virginia Poet Laureate, Luisa Igloria.
- Cruise Down the Elizabeth River Take in the beauty of neighboring Norfolk at night with a dinner cruise on the Elizabeth River. The Spirit of Norfolk will host your evening with dining, dancing, and games as you sail by some of the impressive battleships and cargo ships that frequent the harbor.
Concerts in Virginia Beach this Summer
What concerts are taking place in Virginia Beach this Summer? Here’s the big list.
- Rebelution: Good Vibes Summer Tour (June 24, 2022) Veterans United Home Loans Amphitheater at Virginia Beach
- Thomas Rhett: Bring the Bar to You Tour (June 25, 2022) Veterans United Home Loans Amphitheater at Virginia Beach
- Patti LaBelle with The Whispers (June 26, 2022) Sandler Center for the Performing Arts
- Train: AM Gold Tour (July 2, 2022) Veterans United Home Loans Amphitheater at Virginia Beach
- Luke Bryan: Raised Up Right Tour (July 7, 2022) Veterans United Home Loans Amphitheater at Virginia Beach
- Backstreet Boys: DNA World Tour (July 13, 2022) Veterans United Home Loans Amphitheater at Virginia Beach
- Dierks Bentley: Beers on Me Tour (July 15, 2022) Veterans United Home Loans Amphitheater at Virginia Beach
- Chris Brown with Lil Baby (July 16, 2022) Veterans United Home Loans Amphitheater at Virginia Beach
- Dave Matthews Band (July 23, 2022) Veterans United Home Loans Amphitheater at Virginia Beach
- REO Speedwagon and Styx with Loverboy (August 5, 2022) Veterans United Home Loans Amphitheater at Virginia Beach
- ABBA the Concert (August 6, 2022) Sandler Center for the Performing Arts
- Keith Urban: The Speed of Now Tour (August 14, 2022) Veterans United Home Loans Amphitheater at Virginia Beach
- Sting: My Songs Tour (August 31, 2022) Veterans United Home Loans Amphitheater at Virginia Beach
- Dispatch and O.A.R. with G. Love (September 2, 2022) Veterans United Home Loans Amphitheater at Virginia Beach
- Willie Nelson: Outlaw Fest (September 11, 2022) Veterans United Home Loans Amphitheater at Virginia Beach
- Wu-Tang Clan & Nas (September 14, 2022) Veterans United Home Loans Amphitheater at Virginia Beach
Other Things to Do Virginia Beach this Summer
- Touch the Sky at the 1st Annual Hot Air Balloon Festival (July 16, 2022) Attend Virginia Beach’s first annual hot air balloon festival! Spend the evening soaring above Hampton Roads or watch the vibrant colors of balloons fill the sky.
- Go to SKA Fest at Bunker VB (August 5, 2022) Celebrate ska music at the Bunker Virginia Beach Brewpub this Summer with a festival featuring The Toasters, Mephiskapheles, Hub City Stompers, Jackmove, and Chupaskabra.
- Visit the Historic DeWitt Cottage Visit the oldest remaining private structure on the Virginia Beach Oceanfront at the historic DeWitt Cottage. It’s also home to the Atlantic Wildfowl Heritage Museum, gift shop, and Back Bay Wildfowl Guild.
- Witness Vintage Warbirds Take to the Skies Every Saturday this summer, visit the Military Aviation Museum as they perform narrated flight demonstrations to share about historical events involving military aircraft. Included with a day’s museum admission!
- Try Primitive Camping on the Beach at False Cape State Park Get in touch with nature by booking one of the primitive campsites at False Cape State Park. With 6 pristine miles of the Atlantic Ocean, it’s a truly unique retreat.
- Tour the Ferry Plantation House Experience both history and the paranormal with a tour of the centuries-old Ferry Plantation House, featuring tales of everyone’s favorite “witch of Pungo.”
- Kiss Summer Goodbye at the End of Summer Bay Bash (September 23, 2022) Nonstop dancing, endless food and drinks, and fantastic musical entertainment will be the highlights of the End of Summer Bay Bash! Proceeds will go to Toby’s Dream Foundation to encourage children facing life-threatening illnesses.