Los Angeles County has stunning scenery, sandy beaches, majestic mountains, glitz & glam, and much more. All of these factors contribute to the county's status as one of the most desirable places to live in the United States of America. This article focuses on the plants you should be cautious about when going for a walk or hiking in Los Angeles County, California.
For a better experience while reading this article, Download the NewsBreak App.
The Stinging Nettle (Urtica dioica) can be found all across Los Angeles County. This herbaceous plant's leaves and young stems are covered in stinging hairs topped with formic acid and other irritants. When these needle-like hairs are touched, they inject the stinging acid into the skin, causing a burning, tingling feeling, and an itchy rash. Fortunately, the symptoms normally do not last a little more than 24 hours.
Stinging nettle is abundant in moist regions across Los Angeles County. This slender, upright nettle grows in dense patches. When touched, stinging nettle produces intense pain. Tiny hairs on the stem and leaves easily fall off, leaving little amounts of a highly irritating chemical in your skin. The human body's reaction to stinging nettle varies widely, and certain parts of your body may be more sensitive to it. If prepared properly, young stinging nettle leaves can be eaten although Nettle flowers should never be eaten.
Poodle Dog Bush
Poodle Dog bush, also known as Eriodictyon parryi, is a shrub native to Los Angeles County, California. Its seeds can stay latent in the soil for several years. The plant develops quickly after a fire and helps to minimize soil erosion. It is frequent along the Pacific Crest Trail in Southern California's burn regions. Its leaves are arranged in bunches resembling a poodle's head, and it blooms with lovely purple flowers in the spring and summer. Sizes range from a few inches for a young plant to 6 feet or 2 meters for a mature plant.
Touching them may result in anything from a moderate rash to serious respiratory difficulty, and the symptoms are often harsher than a poison oak reaction. Symptoms typically emerge hours or days following contact with the plant. Other than going to the doctor if the sensitivity becomes too severe, the only medical advice for dealing with it appears to be to wash the affected area as quickly as possible following the exposure.
Toxicodendron diversilobum, also known as Pacific poison oak, is a dangerous invasive plant. Despite the fact that it grows almost entirely in California, the state has a large population. It can grow as a ground vine, a shrub, or a climbing vine. It has the ability to cover large areas and, when burned in wildfires, can produce severe allergies, prompting hospitalization.
According to the Los Angeles Network of Care, Plants such as Poison oak can induce an allergic rash, which is characterized by a red, itchy rash. It is the most prevalent skin issue induced by plant contact. The rash is induced by contact with urushiol, a sticky oil found in poison oak. The rash is the result of an allergic reaction to the oil. You become allergic as a result of touch. After coming into contact with certain plants like Poison Oak, your immune system may begin to react to the oil as if it were a dangerous toxin.
When you experience a reaction to the oil for the first time, the rash normally takes more than a week to appear. It manifests itself in a day or two on subsequent interactions. The rash may appear in new spots over the course of several days, but you will only get a rash where the oil came into contact with your skin.
Thank you for reading! For Better optimization and reading experience in the future, Download the NewsBreak App.