In 1879, the discoveries of E.T. Cox were published in the Geological Survey of Indiana. In this survey, he provided where they found Ancient burial mounds. One site was even flattened to place a county road.
Cox also provided maps of ancient cities inside Indiana; one was in Winchester, Indiana, between White River and Sugar Creek. The document states that there were walls of an ancient fort, with walls of an old fort 1000 feet wide and 1320 feet long. Inside were 300 acres with a large mound in the center, measured at 100 feet wide and 9 feet tall.
Thirteen years later, according to a newspaper report, bones believed to be those of prehistoric people were discovered. They were found with giant bones.
October 26, 1892, approximately 2 miles from Crawfordsville, Indiana, a high bluff known as Sugar Creek was found that held the remains of at least 25 skeletons. The skeletons were described as of Brobdingnagian stature, aka giants.
The news article described the bones that were being removed as mammoth bones. The area became a site of excited scientific students from Wabash College; they uncovered the bones and brought them back to the archaeology department to study.
The last skeleton removed from the burial site was said to have been ¨gigantic¨. It measured 7 feet in length, and the femur proved that it was of giant origin, and the pelvic bones were twice as large as an ordinary human. The skull was also giant with a complete set of teeth, not cracked or decayed; the enamel on the teeth was beautifully polished marble.
The scientists described the bones as perfectly preserved, even though they were underground for centuries. They described two skeletons as immature development; the other skeletons were said to represent a race of men that had been extinct for centuries.
The students believed the skeletons belonged to a tribe of aborigines, but that was only speculation by the students. Unlike other burial mounds, there were no other items found with the skeletons, but in another site nearby, many instruments of warfare were found, as well as utensils.
This equipment was mostly made of stone, copper, shell, and bone. There were even some arrowheads found and pottery. Yet the skeletons appeared to all have been buried together in one large mass.
Ten were found in close contact facing the setting sun and arranged in a sitting position. When the scientists questioned about the skeletons, one farmer stated that fifty years ago, a tree was uprooted in this very spot. It exposed three skeletons of gigantic dimensions.
One of the men, General Lew Wallace, reported that many years prior, a man was on the property digging for gold along the banks of Sugar Creek. The man believed the gold had been buried years earlier when tribes existed on the land. He thought of a story his grandfather told him: a Spanish treasure was buried in the location.
No gold was found, only more artifacts with every inch of soil. There are no other reports of what happened to the skeletons. The skeletons were returned to the ground and covered back up in some other mounds.