July 2, 2023, is the grand opening of Skip Playground in Stow, Ohio. It promises to be a playground for kids of all ages and all abilities.
Here is an overview* of what you can expect the park to include:
- Large-scale universal play facility
- Items such as sensory panels, a large play structure, musical instruments, spinning equipment, a ninja warrior course, and an inclusive whirl
- Benefits to people with and without disabilities and their families
Breakdown of Play Equipment
- Provides sensory input for all individuals
- Can be used by children and adults
- Can be used by individuals who use a mobility device without having to leave the device
- The textures on the panels are thick and are especially great for children with hyposensitive sensory processing disorder and children across the Autism spectrum
- Lots of vibrant colors and thick textures that provide tactile and visual stimulation.
- Provides proprioceptive and vestibular sensory experiences
- Allows children to practice social skills like waiting in line and helping others
- Proven to be a favorite piece of playground equipment for children of all abilities
Gen X Structure
- This structure is developmentally appropriate for children ages 5-12
- It has two towers, two slides, an upper and lower-level play deck, and a connecting skyway
- There are clear lines of sight from the ground, so parents can keep an eye on their children
Tots' Choice Structure
- Gives toddlers and preschoolers a climbing and sliding experience
- Helps small children develop gross motor skills
- Provide vestibular sensory movement
- Has multiple types of swings, including traditional swings, bucket swings for babies/toddlers, ADA swings, and generation swings
Ninja Warrior Course
- Promotes physical development in children and adolescents
- Comes with four main pieces:
- The Tapered Tower: Builds upper body strength through multiple climbing apparatuses
- The Breakaways: Low, angled platforms that are arranged to require children to maneuver back and forth between them. This builds coordination, agility, strength, and balance.
- The Sprawl Wall: Gives a full-body workout by having children walk from point A to point B between angled walls.
- The Chaos Climber: Has horizontal and vertical ropes and monkey bars. These allow kids and adolescents to build agility, balance, upper body strength, stamina, and coordination.
Ten Spin & Cyclo Cone Plus Climber
- Provide spinning experience
- Sturdy and durable
- Can accommodate multiple children at once to develop social skills
- Unique swinging experience
- Children with lower core strength can lie down on the disk and be pushed by an adult
- Can accommodate multiple children at once to work on social skills
- Giant, inline rope swing that provides swinging, rocking movements, and balancing
- Can be used individually or with others
- When used with others, it requires kids to work together to make it swing cooperatively
Sand Pit and Interactive Musical Instruments
- Sand Pit is ADA accessible
- Comes with one ADA-accessible X-Cavator
- Allows children of all ages to interact
- The Rainbow Trio Musical Instruments provide creative and interactive play for all ages
*All this information is based on the original plans and may have changed over time.