If you, like myself, are a lover of the most interesting, beautiful, romantic yet funny, romance movies, then I have it all simple for you: a list of the best films that I have watched in more than twenty years.
It's about those movies that make your heartbeat, your emotions thrive, lift your mood, while they make you feel like you are in heaven - or almost.
You are transported in a world where love exists and is possible, with its multiple splendor facets and shades (as Nat King Cole sings, in one of his memorable songs).
So, here's a collection of the best titles, to simplify your researches.
Not in a particular order of appearance, these movies are, in my opinion, those to "see in a lifetime".
1. Cleopatra - with Elizabeth Taylor
2. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - with Elizabeth Taylor
3. Mamma Mia (the Musical) - with actors like Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan.
4. Maid in Manhattan - with Jennifer Lopez
5. The Wedding Planner - with Jennifer Lopez
6. Shall we Dance? -- with Jennifer Lopez and Richard Gere
7. Monster-in-Law -- with Jennifer Lopez and Jane Fonda
8. Music and Lyrics - with Drew Barrymore and Hugh Grant
9. Love Actually - with Hugh Grant, Colin Firth, and many other great actors
10. Hitch - with Will Smith
11. Four Weddings and a Funeral - with Hugh Grant, Andie McDowell
12. Groundhog Day - with Bill Murray and Andie McDowell
13. Pretty Woman - with Julia Roberts, Richard Gere
14. Notting Hill - with Julia Roberts, Hugh Grant
15. My Best Friend's Wedding - with Julia Roberts, Cameron Diaz
16. Runaway Bride - with Julia Roberts, Richard Gere
17. The Proposal
18. While You Were Sleeping - with Sandra Bullock
19. Two Weeks Notice - with Sandra Bullock
20. Hope Floats - with Sandra Bullock
21. The Lake House - with Sandra Bullock, Keanu Reeves
22. Love Potion No. 9
23. Message in a Bottle
24. Mr. and Mrs. Smith - with Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt
25. The Tourist - with Angelina Jolie, Johnny Depp
27. Under the Tuscan Sky
28. Moonstruck - with Cher and Nicholas Cage
29. Out of Africa - with Meryl Streep, Robert Redford
30. Nights in Rodanthe - with Richard Gere, Diane Keaton
31. Letters to Juliet
32. The Way We Were - with Barbra Streisand, Robert Redford
33. My Best Friend's Girl - with Kate Hudson
34. How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days - with Kate Hudson, Matthew McConaughey
35. Notorious - with Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman
36. Indiscreet - with Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman
37. Love in the Time of Cholera
38. Up Close & Personal - with Michelle Pfeiffer and Robert Redford
39. One Fine Day - with Michelle Pfeiffer and George Clooney
40. The Age of Innocence - with Michelle Pfeiffer, Daniel Day-Lewis, Winona Ryder
41. Autumn in New York - with Winona Ryder, Richard Gere
42. Memoirs of a Geisha
43. Indecent Proposal - with Robert Redford, Demi Moore
44. A Stolen Life - with Bette Davis
45. Rebecca (from 1940, with Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine)
46. Pride and Prejudice
47. You've Got Mail - with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan
49. Titanic - with Kate Winslet, Leonardo DiCaprio
Here they are, my list of favorite top fifty romance movies from the last twenty years.
For your fun, amusement and to lift your day, I will mention a bonus movie, a hilarious comedy that's surprisingly fun, absolutely wonderful, and a must-see this spring, for those of you who haven't: There's Something About Mary, starring Cameron Diaz as the title character, with Ben Stiller and Matt Dillon.
Let the fun and the romance begin!