For me, there's such a nostalgic feeling when I pull out my old recipe box and thumb through the recipes. In my treasure trove of family recipes, which have been passed down through the generations on both my side and my spouses, there's one little gem that sticks out as a favorite among us. This vintage recipe for Butter Swim Biscuits is straight from my grandmother's kitchen.
Now hear me out, these Butter Swim Biscuits aren't just biscuits; they're memories of cozy Sunday mornings, big batches of soups and chili's, everything that you could imagine that comes out of a grandmother's kitchen. A lot of love goes into these biscuits, and with each bite, you're transported back to simpler times, when the kitchen was the heart of the home.
PREP TIME: 15 MIN; COOK TIME: 30 MIN; TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 C buttermilk
- 1/2 C (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- Set your oven to 450°Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl, add your all-purpose flour, kosher salt, baking powder, and sugar. Whisk your ingredients together.
- Add in your buttermilk and stir until just combined. Be cautious not to overwork your batter.
- Add your melted butter to an 8×8-inch baking dish. Using a spatula, add the dough on top of the butter. Evenly spread the dough out to the edges.
- Using a knife, cut the unbaked dough into a 3 x 3 pattern (totaling 9 squares). Add your baking dish of butter biscuits to the oven for approximately 28–30 minutes.
- Once your biscuits are golden brown on top, remove them from the oven. Prior to cutting and serving, allow the butter to be absorbed into your biscuits.
- Enjoy, friends! ❤️