These delicious and chewy cookie bars are inspired by everyone’s favorite breakfast treat - Pop Tarts! It’s filled with yummy strawberry goodness and is a super fun take on a classic breakfast treat. The base for this is a soft, sugar cookie base, filled with sweet preserves and topped off with a yummy vanilla glaze and confetti sprinkles.
Why I love these bars!
- They look and taste as good if not better than store bought pop tarts!
- Fun and easy treat to make.
- The sugar cookie has the perfect texture and with the additions of the strawberry they stay fresh and moist for days!
- You can use any type of preserve you want… blueberry, raspberry and blackberry are some of my favorites!
What Makes Up These Delicious Bars!
1: Using a stand mixer cream together your butter and sugar.
2: Add in you vanilla extract and then your eggs - one at a time
3: Add in your flour, salt, baking soda just until combined - then chill you dough in the fridge for 30 mins.
4: Divide your cookie dough in half - set 1/2 aside and with the remaining half press into your 9 x 13 inch pan. Then transfer - remove from pan with parchment and place on cookie sheet, place in the freezer.
5: Make your final layer. Replace the parchment paper (all 4 sides covered) and with your remaining dough press into your 9 x 13 pan
6: Spread your Preserves.
7: Get Baking! Remove your dough from the freezer and take off the parchment. Gently add it on top of your jam layer and press it into the bottom layer “sealing” the two doughs together. Don’t worry if some of the strawberry spills out.
Bake until golden brown - approx. 25-28 mins.
8: Once completely cooled , invert your bars (so the bottom is now on top) onto a wire rack/ cutting board. Pour your glaze over the top and cover with confetti sprinkles. Let sit 2 hours for glaze to harden.
- Don’t cut your bars until the glazed has set. They will need to sit for about 2 hours. Fight the urge to throw in the freezer that will only make your glaze wrinkle with absorbed moisture from freezer.
- Making sure your hands are clean - wet them a bit when working with the dough - it’ll keep the dough from sticking.
Servings: 30, Prep: 2 hrs., Cook 25 mins, Total: 2 hrs 25 mins
- 1 C butter room temperature
- 2 C sugar
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 1/4 C flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/3 C Preserves (I used strawberry)
For the Glaze
- 2 C Confectionary sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Rainbow sprinkles for decorating
- Preheat your oven to 375 Fahrenheit. Using a 9x13 pan line with parchment (allow it to hang over the sides).
- Using your stand mixer, cream together your butter and sugar - until fluffy
- Add one egg at a time and vanilla extract until just combined. Scrape your bowl as needed.
- Add your flour, salt, and baking soda just until dough is combined.
- Place in the fridge to chill for 30 mins.
- Divide your dough in half and with your fingers press 1/2 of the dough into your pan.
- Remove from your pan with the use of your parchment paper and place in the freezer.
- Replace your parchment in your 9 x 13 pan and repeat process with remaining dough.
- Add your preserves and spread evenly.
- Grab your dough from the freezer and invert onto your preserves, remove your parchment and press to secure the two pieces of dough together.
- Bake your bars till golden brown around 25 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Once cooled remove your parchment and invert your cookie bars (so the bottom is now the top).
- Using a whisk, mix your powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth.
- Carefully pour over the top and immediately add your rainbow sprinkles.
- Let cool for 2 hours (icing needs to be completely set prior to cutting).
- Enjoy Friends! ❤️