My daughter loves boba tea. When we lived in Florida, there was a Boba tea shop in almost every town and city. So going out and having a special tea was not only easy and fun for a mother-daughter day but also very convenient. When we moved to rural upstate New York, those dime-a-dozen boba shops disappeared. For us to go out and get a boba tea, it was an all-day ordeal. It was something that had to be done in one of the bigger cities and usually required a mile-long list of "to-dos" and "supplies needed." Let’s face it, with the high price of everything, it really wasn’t feasible to drive an hour plus just to grab a cup of tea. So I knew that I had to figure out a way to make good boba tea any time we wanted.
This honeydew milk tea with boba fits the bill. It’s absolutely delicious. It’s made with fresh, juicy honeydew melon. The whole family loves this tea; it’s such a pretty, vibrant color with a fruity, sweet flavor. It’s the perfect drink on a hot summer day. The trick is to find a juicy honeydew melon and pull your pieces from the center of the fruit (where they are the juiciest!).
The boba are just plain fun; they add a great texture to your drink, and the boba or tapioca pearls are just plain delicious and help to enhance the flavor of your drink! I order my boba on Amazon because there is no place in rural upstate New York to purchase them. When you order your boba - you may want to purchase a few larger diameter straws to accommodate the boba’s - it’s just more fun to drink that way!
What Exactly Am I Drinking?
Honeydew milk tea is made with simple ingredients. Green tea, almond milk, fresh honeydew melon, and a bit of sugar make up this milk tea. Milk tea is any tea combined with milk—pretty simple, eh? It’s usually sweetened with honey or sugar. Boba and/or spices can be added to your tea.
This is an easy recipe to make at home; you just need a blender. You can serve this over ice (the way we like to drink it!) or heat it up on the stove and make it into a hot milk tea. You can add or take away sugar to fit your tastes. It doesn’t require any special ingredients or equipment to make and contains all natural ingredients.
The honeydew pairs great with the almond milk (you could also use coconut or cashew, both delicious and creamy). It’s a refreshing, gorgeous, fun-to-drink beverage on a hot day.
This tea contains antioxidants and is a great source of vitamins A and C, potassium, and calcium. This tea does contain caffeine, so it’s a perfect boost when you need a quick pick-me-up, or you can substitute decaf green tea for an evening treat.
Let’s Take A Closer Look At The Ingredient’s:
- Fresh Honeydew Melon: When cutting up your fruit, choose the pieces closest to the center; they hold the most juice. If you don’t have access to fresh melon, you can get honeydew powder off of Amazon. In my opinion, real fruit always tastes better, more vibrant, and more fresh!
- Almond, cashew, or coconut milk—always choose unsweetened.
- Green Tea
- Sugar: A little goes a long way in bringing out the sweetness in your melon. Taste and adjust to your liking.
- Black Tapioca Boba Pearls: There are several types and flavors out there; try a few to see what you like! Don’t be intimidated by the bobas; they are easy to make!
How To Make Boba:
Always read the instructions on the back of the package but here is an overview.
- Grab a large pan and bring 8-10 cups of water to a boil.
- While the water is boiling, add your boba’s and gently stir.
- Wait for your boba to rise to the top (will not take long) the cover the pan and cook to desired chewiness (around 12-15 minutes). Scoop one out and test!
- Once done, remove/drain from your pot of boiling water and add to your cup for serving or place in an air tight container with some simple syrup over the top (stir it around in the container) to keep your bobas from sticking to each other.
Honeydew Milk Tea with Boba
yield: 1 SERVING
- 1/2 C Chopped Honeydew Melon
- 1/2 C Freshly Brewed Green Tea
- 1/2 Cup Almond, Cashew or Coconut Milk
- 2 Tbsp granulated Sugar (you could substitute honey or maple syrup)
- 2-3 Tbsp Boba Tapioca black pearls
- Water (as needed)
- Prepare boba as instructed and add to serving glass.
- In a tea kettle, brew your green tea.
- While your tea is sitting, cut your honeydew melon into chunks; remember to use the juiciest pieces!
- Add all your ingredients to a high speed blender.
- Blend until smooth; use water if needed to thin out consistency (you may not need any).
- Once thoroughly mixed, pour through some cheese cloth or a strainer to get out any lumps/fibers from the melon.
- Pour into your serving glass over your boba pearls.
- Enjoy Friends! ❤️