Every year I buy peeps for my kids, they are just one of those things that I purchase to add to the Easter Baskets, a filler of sorts. Every year they sit, lolol, no one ever eats the peeps. It’s one of those things you either love em or hate em. If they don’t look so darn cute sitting in that Easter Basket, I would never buy them. They go hand and hand with the Easter bunny and let’s face it, it’s not Easter without peeps. So the big question is what the heck do we do with all these left over peeps?
Make Rice Krispie Treats! That’s what you do with them! Who doesn’t love Rice Krispie treats? Using up left over peeps is the perfect way to utilize these sugary marshmallow pillows of delight.
Why I love This Recipe!
- Everything is done in a 375 degree oven
- Only three simple Ingredients needed
- Can make fun delicious treats in under 10 minutes.
- The perfect solution for those left over peeps!
- Easy, easy, easy!
Rice Krispies Cereal – Any type will work (plain, fruity pebbles, gluten free), so feel free to experiment and use what you think will work best with your flavor of peeps! Example - chocolate pudding peeps with cocoa pebbles would be chocolate marshmallow heaven!
Peeps – Get crazy if you want, any color(s), flavors, shapes (rabbits or chicks) will work. I usually use a mixture of colors because it makes the treats look so pretty with the pastels.
Butter – Don’t substitute this with margarine it doesn’t work as well, use butter.
- To keep your Rice Krispie treats from getting hard do not overcook the butter and marshmallow mix and be aware of how hard you are pressing down when forming the treats. You need to pack down your cereal a bit to form shape.
- Allow your treats to fully set or else they will get a bit crumbly.
- Sprinkles are optional but always add a nice pizazz.
- 14-16 Peeps works fabulously for your 9”×13” pan.
- 4 cups of Rice Krispies - your choice on flavor
- 6 Tbsp butter thinly sliced
- 16-20 Peeps of choice (color, size or flavor)
- Sprinkles for pizazz (optional but fun!)
- Set your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grab a 9”×13” pan. In a single row, add your peeps to the pan.
- Take your 4 cups of Rice Krispies and pour over the top of your peeps, spreading out in an even layer.
- Take your butter and thinly slice placing evenly all over your 9x13 pan. The goal is to have the butter melt evenly over the top of your cereal and peeps.
- Place in your preheated oven for 7-8 minutes (you want your peeps to be melted).
- Remove your pan from the oven and using a silicone spatula combine your cereal, and melted butter and peeps.
- Once your have everything combined, press your cereal with the back of the spatula into the pan to help it stick together and become cohesive.
- While your Rice Krispies are still wam, add your pizazz (aka sprinkles) !
- Let your treats cool and firm up
- Enjoy Friends!
Comments / 0