Chicken Alfredo is one of my favorite recipes. Its a treat for me and my family, I usually try to keep my family on a bit leaner diet, but this week we got some wonderful news and it called for some celebrating! The celebratory dinner request was chicken alfredo, and I'm never going to say no to that! I love this recipe for many reasons, first it's absolutely sinful, with a velvety and creamy parmesan sauce... pure heaven. Second it comes together quickly, less than 30 minutes and with the addition of a rotisserie chicken, it's even easier! Third it's comfort food at it's best, it's filling and everyone loves this dish. I normally pair this with a "light" side salad (arugula, grape tomatoes, pistachios with a drizzle of lemon juice, olive oil and coarse salt) and of course some good crusty bread.
You can use any type of pasta you want. Generally a thicker pasta like fettuccine or penne works well because it has more surface area to grab onto your sauce, but really any pasta will work, so don't sweat it!
If your sauce is too thick, use your reserved pasta water to thin out and if it's too thin simmer for a few extra minutes and then take it off the heat to sit for about 2-3 minutes before mixing into your pasta.
My only request! ... Avoid pre-shredded cheese!! They don't melt well and leave your sauce grainy! Buy a good block of parmesan cheese, it truly makes all the difference in the world!
Prep Time:15 MINUTES, Cook Time:18 MINUTES, Total Time:33 MINUTES Servings: 6
For the Noodles
- 16 ounces dry fettuccine pasta
For the Chicken
- 2-3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken. If you would prefer to make your chicken at home, then cook in the same pan after you have cooked your pasta. Once chicken is cooked, then proceed to making the sauce. Using the same pan for all three tasks. All those yummy bits from cooking the chicken will help to add flavor to the sauce!
For the Sauce
- 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup), cut into pieces
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian Spices (If you don't have a jar of mixed Italian Spices, use 1/2 teaspoon of oregano, 1/2 teaspoon of basil, 1/4 teaspoon of thyme)
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, make its salty like the sea. Add your pasta and cook until al dente, usually 10-12 minutes (depending on type of pasta used - check the box). Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water, then drain well. Add your Rotisserie Chicken to the pasta cover and set aside.
- In the same pan, over medium-low heat, add the butter and cream; whisk until butter has melted.
- Add in the minced garlic, Italian seasoning, nutmeg, and pepper; whisk until combined and smooth.
- Keep heat on medium low and bring sauce to a simmer (do not boil). Whisking constantly until thickened, around for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in your parmesan cheese. You want the sauce smooth and the cheese fully melted. Use your reserved pasta water, a few tablespoons at a time if your sauce ends up too thick.
- Take sauce off the heat and immediately combine with your pasta and rotisserie chicken, incorporate fully, to get all the yummy sauce everywhere.
- Divide the pasta among serving bowls and top with some fresh basil or parsley, more Parmesan, salt and black pepper (if needed).
References Adapted By:
Amy (2021, February 8), Chicken Alfredo [Blog Post] Retrieved from: https://bellyfull.net/chicken-alfredo-recipe/
Comments / 8