Piedmont, CA

Tuesday in the East Bay: Amy Schneider wins 39 straight on 'Jeopardy!', Piedmont has vacant city council seat and more

Refugio Garcia

https://img.particlenews.com/image.php?url=4ZOPdu_0dvSTdrd00
(Amanda Edwards/Getty Images)

Oakland’s Amy Schneider takes second place for longest win streak on ‘Jeopardy!’

Oakland’s Amy Schneider on Monday surpassed Matt Amodio for the longest winning streak on the popular game show “Jeopardy!” taking the second place spot in the category after winning 39 straight games, East Bay Times reports.

Schneider entered the last round of Final Jeopardy Monday night thousands ahead of her competitors and still won despite answering incorrectly on her final answer. Schneider wrapped up the night with a score of $12,600 and 36 correct answers.

Schneider’s total earnings have now reached $1,319,800 – the highest for any female contestant in the show’s history. In December, she also became the first transgendered person to win a spot in the Tournament of Champions.

City of Piedmont accepting applications for vacant city council seat until Jan. 31

The City of Piedmont will be accepting applications to fill the vacancy left on the city council following the departure of councilmember Tim Rood last month, according to a press release.

Piedmont will be taking applications until Jan. 31 at 5 p.m. with applicant interviews beginning Feb. 7 – at which point applicants will be asked to give a presentation for their candidacy.

Rood’s replacement must be announced by March 1. The appointee will serve on the city council until the results of the general municipal election this November are certified and will be announced during a council meeting scheduled for December.

The appointee will have the option to run for two consecutive terms.

Applications can be submitted in person to City Hall at 120 Vista Avenue or electronically.

For more information, contact City Clerk John Tulloch at 510-420-3040.

Unhoused residents living beneath BART tracks ordered to leave

https://img.particlenews.com/image.php?url=01uMhR_0dvSTdrd00
(Photographer/Getty Images)

Concord police have given the roughly 25 unhoused residents living in a space beneath BART tracks a deadline to vacate the area by Jan. 26 or face removal, East Bay Times reports.

The area is near the city’s skatepark on San Miguel Road. Area residents say they first saw a few tents in the area starting in 2018 but noted that the majority of people living on the parcel of land arrived over the last year.

Unhoused residents living in the green space were ordered to leave the area on Jan. 18 with information on how to connect with Concord’s Coordinated Outreach, Referral, & Engagement agency, known as CORE.

However, CORE’s resources have been “decimated” during the pandemic, according to councilmember Edi Birsan.

Homeless advocates such as the Concord Communities Alliance group argue that the city has offered no alternatives for people after they move.

“It is unethical to move people if you don’t have a better place to offer them,” said Emily Gaines, who is a member of the advocacy group. “If you want to tell someone, ‘You can’t camp here, but here’s a safe place you can camp.’ That’s great. That’s absolutely fine. But people are out here just trying to survive, doing the best to shelter themselves because they don’t have anywhere else to be.”

About half of the unhoused residents living in the space said they are willing to relocate, with the other half saying they plan to stay put – which may lead to a potential showdown with local authorities.

Comments / 0

Published by

Stay connected with the latest news breaking in the East Bay, including updates on public health and safety, local government, education, tech news, sports and more.

Oakland, CA
810 followers

More from Refugio Garcia

Comments / 0