All migrants have been removed from the campsite in Del Rio, according to Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas. Mayorkas made the statement at the White House amid significant criticism of the Biden administration's treatment of migrants at the US-Mexico border, the majority of whom are Haitians.
“Less than one week ago, there were approximately 15,000 migrants in Del Rio, Texas, the great majority of whom were Haitian nationals,” Mayorkas told reporters Friday. “This was the result of an unprecedented movement of a very large number of people traveling to a single point of the border within a matter of a few days. ... As of this morning, there are no longer any migrants in the camp underneath the Del Rio International Bridge.”
Mayorkas said that a total of 17 aircraft arranged by the Department of Homeland Security were used to transport about 2,000 migrants back to Haiti.
Another 8,000 migrants “decided to return to Mexico voluntarily,” Mayorkas said. The remaining 5,000 are being processed by the Department of Homeland Security “to determine whether they will be expelled or placed in immigration removal proceedings,” he added.
Raul L. Ortiz, the chief of the United States Border Patrol and a resident of Del Rio, claimed on Sunday that there were no more migrants crossing the river into the camp.
A Border Patrol spokesman did not reply to an email requesting information on whether or if any further crossings have happened since then. Martinez stated that while the quantity of tickets has decreased, about 50 families or individuals were granted tickets on Tuesday night.
This is original content from NewsBreak’s Creator Program. Join today to publish and share your own content.