Columbia, South Carolina — Able South Carolina (Able SC) was awarded a grant through Dominion Energy to build emergency kits. They partnered with the South Carolina Department on Aging (SCDOA) and accepted 122 weather alert systems to distribute to seniors 60 years of age and older and persons 18 and older with a disability.
The kits will be distributed to persons served by Able SC. Approximately 10 percent of their consumers are greater than the age of 60 and all of their consumers have disabilities.
“We are thrilled with the work our agency does to help enhance the quality of life for seniors in South Carolina,” South Carolina Department on Aging (SCDOA) Director Connie Munn said. “We are excited to partner with Able SC to provide these weather assistance kits to our older adults and the disabled population who need assistance during incremental weather to ensure their safety.”
The Weather Alert Systems are designed for individuals that are deaf and hard of hearing. The Midland Weather Alert Radio has a loud siren, a bed shaker for vibration, and a silent call strobe light. The weather radio has a special receiver that tunes to NOAA's 24/7 National Weather Service broadcast.
The weather alert system means a radio can be used by itself or with a special receiver that tunes to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s 24/7 National Weather Service broadcast. It also includes a bed shaker and loud siren accessories for those individuals with disabilities.
SCDOA wants to continue to support those with disabilities during emergencies and collaborate with organizations as well. Some of the features of the kits include:
- S.A.M.E. Digital Weather/Hazard alert feature provides you with constant monitoring of your local NWS (National Weather Service) broadcast.
- S.A.M.E. localized reception allows you to hear only messages for the area(s) concerning you.
- 7 NOAA channels (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration)
- Emergency weather bulletins include alerts about: tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, ice/snowstorms and other severe weather.
- Emergency broadcasts might include Amber alerts, hazardous explosions, fires, chemical spills and other civil emergencies.
- Digital front panel display
- 25 programmable counties
- User selectable warning system
- Voice, siren or tone alert
- Time and alarm clock with full display
- Emergency power backup uses 3 AA batteries (not included)
- AC wall adapter included.
- Public Alert Certified
Comments / 0