INDEPENDENCE, OH — The Recreation Department of the City of Independence is seeking responsible individuals to undertake a variety of indoor and outdoor maintenance duties for facilities, parks, and pools.
Candidates must be willing to learn and work on a wide range of assignments, shifts, and locations within the City's campus. Shifts will include some evenings, weekends, and the city's infrequent special events.
Strong work ethic, attention to detail, independence, ability to communicate and solve problems, and customer service abilities are all required. Prior experience with maintenance or custodial work is preferred, but not essential. Part-time opportunities are available throughout the year both seasonally and year-round.
To apply for this position, visit the City’s website.
Among the responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure the health, safety, and satisfaction of residents and visitors who use City structures and lands
- Maintenance chores such as cleaning, sanitizing, refilling, repairing, setting up/breaking down of equipment (e.g. tables, chairs, bleachers), trash disposal, landscaping/beautification, and monitoring of pool and park areas.
- Throughout the shift, maintain direct touch with coworkers and supervisors; respond to priority as ordered.
- Repair and maintain city equipment and facilities.
- As needed, open and close; lock and unlock facilities.
- For various events and facility rentals, set up tables, chairs, bleachers, and other equipment as needed.
- Follow, monitor, and enforce City policies and procedures, including those pertaining to safety, reporting, administration, and procedural guidelines.
- Ideas for improvement and innovation are welcome.
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Qualifications & Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent, associate's degree, trade school, or two or more years of maintenance experience are preferred.
- Possession of a valid driver's license with a good driving record is an advantage.
- Positive attitude and a friendly manner
- Working knowledge of facilities is preferred, including maintenance requirements, technical specifications, and supply/equipment demands.
- Dependable and trustworthy
- Ability to handle working in a fast-paced atmosphere.
- Ability to work without supervision
- Physically capable of standing, bending, squatting, and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Capable of working both indoors and outdoors in a variety of weather situations, as well as standing for long periods of time.
- Must pass a background check as well as a drug test.