Europe is full of romantic places – from Italy to Paris to the beaches in Greece; there are no shortages for romantic getaways here! Something about Europe is romantic in and of itself, and that’s why so many travelers come here for getaways with their partners. If you’re unsure which city to travel to for a romantic European getaway, check out this list of the 5 most romantic locations in Europe. Whichever your taste, you are bound to have an amazing time in any of these cities.
By now, you have probably seen the gorgeous hillside of Positano all over your Instagram feed. There is a reason this is becoming a popular destination in Europe – it’s simply stunning! One of the most picturesque villages, located along the Amalfi Coast in Italy, is a fantastic destination if you’re looking for a romantic getaway. There is so much to do in Positano that we wrote an entire blog post just on that to cover it. But some of the best activities for couples in Positano include:
- Enjoy the beach. Positano offers chair & umbrella rentals right on the beach. Why not order an Aperitivo and enjoy the day people watching while listening to the waves crash in.
- Rent a boat. Positano has many options for boat rentals, and it’s an incredible experience to spend the day on the water seeing the beautiful views of the Amalfi coast. Truly unforgettable and definitely a romantic way to spend the day.
- Enjoy sunset dinner in a hillside restaurant. Positano has so many amazing restaurants, where you can enjoy a fresh, authentic meal while watching the sunset. La Sirenuse is one of the most romantic restaurants in Positano, and while it can be pricey, the views are worth it!
There’s a reason so many movies are filmed in Santorini – the views are breathtaking! Santorini has temperate weather year-round, with hot sunny days all summer long. The jagged cliffs, whitewashed buildings, and the signature blue-domed churches make this place feel like the ideal spot for an engagement, honeymoon, or even just a romantic vacation. Like Positano, Santorini offers incredible views, and there are lots of great activities for couples, such as:
- Book a private cruise. Sunset is the most popular time to book a catamaran cruise in Santorini. Some companies will offer dinner and a cruise, or you can grab a bottle of champagne and watch the sunset on the boat.
- Visit Eros Beach. This is one of the most beautiful beaches in Santorini, and it’s a little more secluded, which is great for couples looking to get some R&R without the busyness of the other beaches. Here you will find a fantastic, elegant beach bar where you can enjoy some cocktails by the water.
- Visit a volcano. If you have an adventurous spirit and want to see more of what Santorini has to offer, visit Nea Kameni. Here you can go for a walk around the island (on solid black lava!) and see the breathtaking views of Caldera. Sunset is a great time to go as the views are incredible. While you’re there, you could also take a dip in the healing hot springs.
Paris is known as ‘the city of lights,’ but many people also call it the ‘city of love.’ As a matter of fact, some will even call it the romance capital of the world! The gorgeous architecture, adorable cafes, delicious food, and stunning Baroque palaces make this a great travel destination for anyone looking to explore Europe - there so much to see and do! Paris is an incredible city to visit any time of year, and for a romantic getaway, it simply had to make the top 5! Just being in the city gives a romantic vibe, but if you’re looking for activities to do while you’re there, here are 3 suggestions:
- Enjoy dinner with a view. The Eiffel Tower twinkling at night is one of the most romantic experiences. Enjoy a delicious dinner with some fantastic French cuisine while taking in the incredible views of the Eiffel Tower.
- Take a walk along the Seine River. Walking along the Seine River is a must – you will feel like you’re in a classic romance film, and it’s a great way to see the city.
- Visit the wall of love. French artists Fédéric Baron and Claire Kito created a mural in 2000, consisting of hundreds of variations of je t’aime (I love you) in over 250 languages and dialects! The wall of love is located in Montmartre’s Jegan Rictus garden square – so it’s a great way to see a different part of Paris! Take a cute photo while you’re there.
Venice is a popular destination for couples, and thousands visiting every year…some resulting in an engagement! Whether you’re looking to put a ring on it or not, Venice is a great place for a romantic getaway. You can fly directly to VCE International Airport or train in from another airport or city. Once you’re there – no need for a car! You can explore the entire city on foot, and here are some great ways to enjoy it together:
- Take a gondola ride. When in Venice, you simply have to take a trip on a gondola. You will love seeing the ins and outs of the city while taking in some great views.
- Get a gelato and wander the streets. One of the best things to do in Venice is to explore the winding streets. Get a gelato and wander – you may get lost at first, but it’s fairly small, so you can surely find your way back eventually! If not, the locals are incredibly friendly and will help you find your way!
- Take in the views from St. Mark’s Bell Tower. For only €8, you can visit this 99-meter-tall tower with an unmatched panoramic view of the city.
5. Lake Bled
Lake Bled is located in Slovenia and is a fantastic travel destination for couples. – it feels like the scenes were ripped straight from the pages of a fairy tale book. We love Lake Bled for the amazing views, architecture, and food, but there is something here for pretty much everyone! Some of our favorite activities for a romantic getaway here include:
- Visit Bled Island. For roughly €15 per person, you can take a romantic boat tour of Bled Island on a pletna boat (very similar to a gondola). Visitors love the island, where you can enjoy the gorgeous emerald waters of Lake Bled while viewing the two historic churches on the island. These two churches continue to offer religious succor, and you will frequently find couples visiting the churches seeking sacred blessings to preserve their marriages!
- Head up to Bled Castle. For the views alone, Bled Castle is worth the trip. Bled Castle is the oldest castle in all of Slovenia, and it sits atop a 130-meter-high cliff. When you arrive, you can get some gelato and enjoy the view!
- Hike the Ojstrica. If you’re an active couple looking to explore Slovenia's best views, then hiking the beautiful Ojstrica should definitely be on your list! It takes roughly 20 minutes walk uphill and is a fairly easy hike.
Europe is full of incredible destinations that are great for a couples getaway, but these 5 destinations are definitely some of the most romantic. Where are you headed to next?