New York City - About 70% of the NYC Parks recreation centers reopened on September 13, 2021. To entice New Yorkers back into these community spaces, the Parks Department is offering free one-year memberships for anyone who signs up before December 31, 2021.
Memberships include access to free fitness classes, indoor swimming pools, exercise equipment, sports programs, game rooms, and more. Your one-year membership begins the day you sign up. So if you waited until the last day of 2021, your free membership would continue through all of 2022.
How much are you saving with a free membership?
Annual fees vary, depending on your age and access level. For adults between ages 25 and 61, the annual fee can be as high as $150 which includes access to all recreation centers. If you don’t care about swimming at the indoor pools, your annual fee drops to $100. For veterans, young adults, seniors, and people with disabilities, the annual fee is as low as $25. Any New Yorker under age 18 already qualifies for a free membership.
Our recreation centers are more than just indoor gyms! Join a recreation center and become part of a community of New Yorkers who support each other. With a membership, you can get fit, learn new skills, develop your hobbies, and make friends.
Recreation centers are located across the five boroughs. You can find more information on the NYC Parks Department website. As of today, a few indoor pools remain closed, even at the centers that have reopened.
Here are the recreation centers that have reopened:
- Hunts Point Recreation Center, 765 Manida Street
- Williamsbridge Oval Recreation Center, 3225 Reservoir Oval East
- Fort Hamilton Senior Recreation Center, 9941 Fort Hamilton Parkway
- McCarren Play Center, 776 Lorimer Street
- St. John's Recreation Center, 1251 Prospect Place
- Sunset Park Recreation Center, 4200 7th Avenue
- Metropolitan Recreation Center, 261 Bedford Avenue
- Brownsville Recreation Center, 1555 Linden Boulevard (*Indoor pool closed)
- Alfred E. Smith Recreation Center, 80 Catherine Street
- Chelsea Recreation Center, 430 West 25th Street
- Gertrude Ederle Recreation Center, 232 West 60th Street
- Asser Levy Recreation Center, Asser Levy Place
- Constance Baker Recreation Center, 348 East 54th Street (*Indoor pool closed)
- Hamilton Fish Recreation Center, 128 Pitt Street
- Hansborough Recreation Center, 35 West 134th Street (*Indoor pool closed)
- J. Hood Wright Recreation Center, 351 Fort Washington Avenue
- Highbridge Recreation Center, 2301 Amsterdam Avenue
- Jackie Robinson Recreation Center, 85 Bradhurst Avenue
- Thomas Jefferson Recreation Center, 2180 1st Avenue
- Al Oerter Recreation Center, 131-40 Fowler Avenue
- Lost Battalion Hall Recreation Center, 93-29 Queens Boulevard
- Faber Park Recreation Center, 2175 Richmond Terrace
- Greenbelt Recreation Center, 501 Brielle Avenue (across from Sea View Hospital)
- Lyons Pool Recreation Center, 6 Victory Blvd
- Ocean Breeze Track & Field Athletic Complex, 625 Father Capodanno Blvd
This is original content from NewsBreak’s Creator Program. Join today to publish and share your own content.