Have you been to San Francisco’s Financial District? San Francisco’s Financial District is notable in various ways. If you’re traveling to San Francisco, I highly recommend checking out this neighborhood! The West Coast concrete jungle is home to some of the largest corporations and banks in the world! It’s home to one of the most iconic landmarks in the city: Transamerica Pyramid. Standing at 48 floors, it is the second tallest building in SF. The movie “Venom” was filmed at the pyramid!
If you are visiting this area for the first time, here are my recommendations on what to prioritize!
Restaurants in Financial District
Not only are these some of the best restaurants in the Financial District, they are considered some of the best in the whole San Francisco Bay Area! These restaurants pride themselves on outstanding service, unique and innovative menus, and whimsical design and atmosphere! I’ve had the pleasure of dining at these highly-regarded places, and these are my favorites!
- Kokkari: The creme de la creme of Greek cuisine! The fish of the day and the skewers are the items to try as for food. For drinks, the house Cabernet is fantastic!
- Wayfare Tavern: This place was voted number one for its fried chicken! They know how to do upscale comfort food impeccably! They offer a two-level dining experience and it has an old 1920’s era aesthetic. Along with the chicken, the absolute MUST order is the whipped mashed potatoes!
- Perbacco: They out-do themselves on Italian cuisine! I love their Bolognese pasta, and their Sauvignon blanc is delicious!
- Roka Akor: I had my birthday lunch here a few years back, and it was one of the best meals I’ve ever had! Their staple cuisines are sushi, steak, and seafood. I tried a little bit of everything and was extremely pleased with the overall presentation and the taste!
- Credo: Located on Pine Street, is this Italian restaurant with a modern flare. The salmon, roasted chicken, and the ravioli are my favorite entrees on the menu! For appetizers, the meatballs and the broccolini are my favorites!
- Per Diem: This place is tucked away on Market and Sutter street, and features Gold Rush era decor in this cozy two-story space. The truffle mac and cheese, fried chicken sandwich, and side of fries are a MUST order!
- Michael Mina: I would say this is the most upscale Financial District restaurant on the list, with a highly intricate and elegant interior. My favorite item on the menu is the braised short ribs (you’ll thank me later)!
Bars in FIDI
The reason why there are so many bars in the Financial District is because all the large corporations and businesses are here. Everyone’s favorite pastime is leaving work for happy hour or grabbing a much deserved drink after a long day. I’ve had so many great memories here and these are my favorites!
- Barbarossa Lounge: I started coming here after college, and quickly became a frequent guest! The aesthetic of this place is boudoir-style, yet it is classy and upscale! The craft cocktails are amazing and there is a large downstairs dance floor and DJ booth with a second bar!
- Kells: I have been coming here since college and find it such a high-energy spot to be at on weekend nights! The complex is pretty large, with a huge downstairs dance floor, cheap drinks, and good atmosphere!
- Cigar Bar: I always RAVE about this place because it has the BEST margarita I’ve had at an SF bar! I love the laid back atmosphere, and the design of the space offers both private indoor and outdoor seating! This space also is equipped with a pool table and darts! They can host group events and offer catering services too!
- Hotel San Francisco: The newest bar of the Financial District list, as it opened in 2019! This was steps away from my office so I would come here often. The aesthetic of this place is my absolute favorite, featuring beautiful artwork, wall paper, and neon lights! Their menu is very unique and every cocktail you have will blow your mind!
- Schroeder’s: This is the oldest bar on the list! It is located on Front Street and is a historic Irish pub! I’ve come here to watch sports games, have dinner, and celebrate holidays! They take St. Patrick’s day to a whole new level, with games and green beer! Speaking of beer, they have one of the most extensive draft beer lists in the city!
- Sky Deck Bar: Situated 40 floors up in the Loews Regency hotel is this small outdoor bar with a million dollar view! This is the highest bar in San Francisco with a clear shot of the Transamerica Pyramid, Coit Tower, and the Golden Gate Bridge! Given it is a hotel bar, the drinks are pricer than other places, but well worth it, as you can’t get this view anywhere else!
Public Rooftop Gardens in FIDI
Financial District is home to the most public outdoor rooftop gardens in the city! If you have never been here before, or lived here all your life, I still think this is a surprising fact! Here is a list of the best and my personal favorites!
- Crocker Galleria (50 Post Street): This is situated on top of an outdoor mall! There are several shops and restaurants below to grab items and come up to the roof for lunch!
- One Kearny Street: This one is the most aesthetically designed in my opinion. It is at the corner of Kearny and 3rd Street right by Market Street. It is smaller than the others, but has a beautiful view of the Ferry Building!
- 343 Sansome Street: I would have many lunches up here as it was two blocks away from my old office! It is within an office building and you access the roof by elevator (located on the 15th floor). This rooftop is huge and is equipped with lots of seating! There is also an ability to host events here through booking with the building’s management!
- 150 California Street: This one is mid-sized, but has ample seating and perfect shading dispersed throughout for super hot days! It is in the heart of California Street and many food trucks are steps away making it an ideal lunch spot!
- 100 First Street: This one has lots of plants and art structures, making it a serene and relaxing rooftop to be on! This one is the least known spot out of the list, so it will most likely be the least trafficked!
I hope you enjoyed my Financial District post and found it helpful for your upcoming trip! Please comment thoughts and questions below, and share with your friends and family! Thank you for your continued support!