NewsBreak is happy to announce a new opportunity for contributors to fund their local journalism efforts in 2022. From now until May 15, 2022, NewsBreak writers and video creators can apply for up to $1000 in individual grants for work that helps fulfill NewsBreak’s mission of helping people everywhere live safer, more vibrant, more truly connected lives.
NewsBreak understands content creators today could use support in a variety of ways. For this reason, contributors are invited to submit applications for funding that would be of the most help to their content creation. Requests can center on unique projects and challenges; however, priority will be given to projects that result in local storytelling from their own communities.
Examples of funding requests include:
- The completion of a special project focused on local issues that requires additional funds, is relevant to NewsBreak’s mission, and results in content published on NewsBreak
- Software licenses, app subscriptions, or technology to fuel content creation on NewsBreak
- Membership to a professional organization to help with contributing content on NewsBreak
- Admission to a professional conference or event related to their work on NewsBreak
To be eligible for funding, contributors must meet the below criteria:
- Be an approved NewsBreak Contributor (you can sign up to be a contributor if you aren’t one already).
- Reside in the U.S.
- Have at least five pieces of approved content published on NewsBreak at the time of application. All content must adhere to NewsBreak’s Editorial Standards and Guidelines, Content Policy, and Content Requirements.
- Submit the grant application in full. Contributors may only submit one application and multiple submissions may result in disqualification.
All applications will be evaluated by the NewsBreak team and contributors will be notified via email on May 23, 2022 with a decision. Grants between $250 - $1000 will be awarded based on scope, size, impact to the contributor’s local community, and likelihood of resulting in content publishable on NewsBreak. Not all applications are guaranteed funding and the NewsBreak team may follow-up with questions before making a final decision.
Ready to apply? Submit all required information to this form by May 15, 2022.
NewsBreak is committed to helping contributors tell original stories from their local communities through these special grants. Stay tuned for even more opportunities to learn and grow through our Contributor Network coming soon!