Black History Month content campaign and donations
Black History Month began in 1976 and is a tribute to generations of African Americans who overcame great adversity to achieve full citizenship in American society. This month, we pay tribute, honor and celebrate the achievements of Black Americans by telling stories about their impact on society.
To participate in this content campaign, you must:
- Share a story about the history, achievements, or influence of the Black community in your area. This could mean highlighting an individual, business, history, etc, but it needs to be locally relevant.
- Publish your story between February 1-23, 2022
- Tag Black History Month. The tagging occurs under the tags section once you hit publish. (See the photo below for where you can submit, and make sure you put spaces between the words and then hit enter.)
Content campaign requirements*:
- You must be an approved NewsBreak Contributor (you can sign up to be a contributor if you aren’t one already)
- You must publish a U.S. local story on NewsBreak
- Each eligible post must include the tag Black History Month. (Content published without this tag will not be eligible for selection.)
- Content must be original and must be published first on NewsBreak (only on NewsBreak is always best!)
- Simply republishing content that you’ve previously posted to NewsBreak will result in disqualification
- All stories must be published to NewsBreak by 10 a.m. PT Wednesday, February 23
- Content must follow our Content Policy, Requirements and Editorial Standards & Guidelines
The winning selection will be announced February 25. If your story is selected, you will be provided an opportunity to choose from an approved list of organizations, to which NewsBreak will make a one-time donation. Winners will also receive NewsBreak swag.
- 1 Top Editorial Pick: The NewsBreak editorial team will select the winner for best article or video based on quality, context, creativity, local relevance and other criteria. The winner will be able to select an organization to receive a one-time donation of $500.
- 5 Finalists: Five additional stories (article or video) will be selected by the editorial team as story finalists. The winners will each choose an organization, which NewsBreak will make a one-time donation of $100.
Each selected story will be promoted on our platform to your local audience and to all our followers through our social media accounts. Contributors are also welcome to enter more than once (with different stories, of course, you may not post the same story twice or republish stories you have already published).