Daytona Beach, FL

Manhunt underway after police officer shot

News Unlimited
Othal WallaceDaytona Beach Police Department

Multiple agencies in the state of Florida are actively searching for the man wanted for shooting a police officer early Wednesday evening in Daytona Beach.

The shooting happened just before 9 p.m. Daytona Beach police say an officer radioed that he was on Kingston Avenue looking into a suspicious incident. After several minutes and attempts to get him on radio by other units, officers responded to his location and found him laying on the ground with a gunshot wound to the.

Daytona Beach Police Chief Jakari Young said in a brief press conference that the officer made contact with the suspect, 29-year-old Othal Wallace at the location. He attempted to escort him out of his vehicle when the altercation turned physical and a shot was fired. The whole incident was caught on the officer's body cam. The officer approached the suspect in the vehicle, asked if he lived there. The suspect said, "Don't do this. Why you asking me do I live here." After several verbal commands to the suspect to "Stop!" the scuffle ensued and a shot was heard.

Chief Young said over 500 units responded, with agencies assisting from several neighboring municipalities and state police. The county where it happened, Volusia County, is on lockdown.

Volusia County Sheriff Mike Chitwood announced a $100,000 reward for information leading ot the capture of the suspect. They are looking for him and his vehicle, a gray 2016 Honda HRV, with California plates of 7TNX532. The suspect is considered armed and dangerous.
Suspect vehicleDaytona Beach Police Department

Daytona Beach is on the east coast of Florida, where interstates I-95 and I-4 intersect. Police have several checkpoints setup at multiple intersections along the interstate.

Again, police have release the name of the suspect, Othal Wallace, a 29-year-old black male. He has listed connections to various other locations in the state from Deltona, to Gainesville, and all the way to South Florida.

Chief Young, Tweeted in the early morning, hours following the tragic incident, "No change in the status of my hero who was shot in the line of duty last night. He's fighting while all of us are praying...The manhunt continues for the coward responsible for this"

This is original content from NewsBreak’s Creator Program. Join today to publish and share your own content.

Comments / 0

Published by

A range of news, information or a variety of banter you may find interesting.

Orlando, FL

More from News Unlimited

Comments / 0