I have three boys ages 4, 6, and 8. As cliche as it sounds, it goes by fast, and while I love watching them blossom into "big boys," their baby years will forever be dear to my heart.
That's why I've gone nostalgic, reflecting on their first year- their most memorable moments. Excuse me while I shed a few mom tears as I list 25 firsts that are super special during baby's year one.
1. The first poop. It's black, tar-like, and bizarre looking…but it's extremely rewarding (for some odd reason) to us moms.
2. The first smile. Usually caused by relieving gas, but that adorable gummy smile is simply swoon-worthy.
3. The first time my boys napped... at the same time. It didn't last long, but I did get a picture. Framer!
4. The first roll. OMG, he moved! Just like you, I'm sure, I touted my sons the strongest babies in the world. That first roll made me so darn proud.
5. The first laugh. Music to our ears and tears in our eyes. Best. Sound. Ever.
6. The first tickle-caused laugh. We love making our children happy; what's better than making them giggle?!
7. The first time my older boys made my youngest laugh.
8. The first time they sit (until falling over). Head control… check. Balance… check. Sitting… check!
9. The first time they eat puree. My boys made that bewildered-what-the-heck-was-that look and I found it hysterical. Avocado for the win!
10. The first babble… especially when that babble happens to be "mama." We convince ourselves that "mama" is their first official word because we, of course, are their best friends FOREVER.
11. Their first real trick… whether it be clapping, picking their nose, making a funny noise on demand, whatever... only proof they're destined to do great things in life.
12. More-so, the first time he claps his hands when you sing: "If You're Happy and You Know It Clap Your Hands." A musical prodigy!
13. The first scoot. This movement comes before crawling; how I praised this determination to move!
14. The first rock; again, before the official crawl. This is when they get on their hands and knees and rock back and fourth. Cuteness overload.
15. The first crawl! Success! Our little thing is now a moving little person! (And now we are crying, in denial, that they're growing up too fast.)
16. The first "real" solid, like a meltable cracker. Get your cell ready to capture this momentous milestone. It's usually quite entertaining to witness.
17. The first real play. Yes, your baby has been playing with toys from day one, but now he's not just seeing how they taste or feel. This first is a cool one- witnessing your child babble on a toy phone, roll a ball, or bounce to music.
18. The first time he pulls himself up… And we thought crawling was a big deal! It's just so exciting.
19. The first time they walk assisted (with a walker or holding your hand). And they do it wearing pure proudness on their face.
20. The first unassisted step. Tears of joy.
21. The last breastfeed (if it's the route you take). Sometimes you don’t even know it’s the last time until it’s over.
22. All those first holidays: the first Halloween, first New Year’s, first Santa photo, etc.
23. The first time he really, truly sleeps through the night (if you’re lucky enough to get that during year one. Me: not so lucky).
24. But also, all those nights you spent rocking- in the dark, just you and him. Nothing else mattered. No one else was awake. To me, those middle of the night quiet moments meant the world. As tired as I was, I knew the snuggle sessions would eventually become a mere memory.
25. The first wave “hi” or “bye,” …or that first hand blown kiss. A real hug. A murmur of “night night” (even if it’s in his special baby language). Proof he is transitioning from baby to toddler- understanding things and thriving.