I’m going to show you how I clean live Dungeness crabs at home.
These guys are larger than other crabs and they weigh about 2 lbs. each.
1. Just leave them under running hot water in your kitchen sink for a couple of minutes.
2. Flip it over on its back and break off the flap with a butter knife.
3. Use your thumb to pull off the shell.
4. And discard the shell.
5. These are the gills, just discard them.
6. Use kitchen scissors to remove the mouth parts and discard.
7. Clean the insides under cold running water.
8. Scrape off the furry parts with a butter knife.
9. Sprinkle some salt & rinse the crab under cold water for 2-3 times.
10. Always clean sea food with salt or white distilled vinegar.
Tips: Finally clean the sink with salt & soap. Distilled white vinegar will work too so your kitchen won’t smell like a fish market.
Since the crabs are bottom feeders I clean them thoroughly! We always cleaned the crabs thoroughly before we cooked. The reason is, we cook the crabs with spices and a lot of the flavor will be on the outside of the shell so you will want to chew on the legs to get all the wonderful taste. I will soon share my crab masala fry recipe with you.
Hope this article is helpful to you! Thanks so much for your time. See you again soon with another new recipe. Till then good bye!
This recipe is also available on NewsBreak Video. My video channel is also named Sofia’s Passion for Cooking. Please follow me on both for more tasty & easy recipes. Thanks!
Please like, share & follow.